Chapter Four: Clash of Swords and Magic (Part II)

MEDIA:

Worst One - a song from the anime Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (Chivalry of a Failed Knight).

This, in my eyes, is Casius' Theme :D

* * *

Erin stared in awe at Casius, who stood before her, using his own body as a means of protecting her from the bandit's wrath. The ear-splitting scream of steel pushing against steel pulsated in the back of her mind, and sparks rained down as the two men struggled against each other.

Casius quickly pushed forward, forcing the bandit leader away. The other man stumbled back in a short daze, and it was then that Erin saw that the angel had unveiled a sword of his own, though it was quite unlike one she had seen before. Both the hilt and guard were laced with solid gold and the weapon possessed a curved blade, similar to that of a katana. However, this particular blade was wider and slightly thicker than the ancient weapon she was familiar with.

After struggling to her feet, Erin took a moment to examine the naïve man she knew all too well.

But Casius no longer looked like his usual, sincere self. His gentle demeanour had changed and his features, though still alluring, no longer held the innocence she had grown accustomed to seeing. Instead, they were twisted in a way that made him appear demonic, though the callous stare he wore was not directed at her, but instead to the bandit leader - the same man who had attempted to cut her down.

'What the hell is this?' The leader spat. His gaze wandered over to Erin and he shook his head. 'So your boyfriend's a sword wielder, huh?'

Erin should have screamed, blushed even. She should have retaliated by explaining that Casius was not, as he put it, her "boyfriend", but instead she just dismissed his words as though they were nothing.

The startling reality had paralysed her, rendering her still, unable to speak. Casius had spared her from the pain of leaving this world without ever having accomplished what she set out to do. He had saved her from death.

For that, she owed him her life.

The other three bandits slowly rose, their own eyes widening as they took in the sight of the enraged angel standing before them.

'Boss...what is that thing?' one asked.

'He's got wings!' another exclaimed.

'D'ya think they're real?'

The bandit leader whipped his head back towards his confused cronies. 'Of course they're not real, you idiots!' he bellowed. 'Angels don't exist! They're like fairies or centaurs! They're mythical creatures!'

Casius took a threatening step forward. 'You dare disrespect my race, you abominable brute?' He drew back his sword arm. 'Prepare to feel the wrath of Millennial!'

Millennial. Erin's gaze fell on the strange looking sword clasped between Casius' fingers. That must be the name of his weapon.

'Casius...' She reached out to touch his arm when he looked round. His features instantly softened, forming a look that was almost pitiful.

'Please stay back,' he said. His voice had regained its familiar tenderness. 'I know you told me not to intervene, but I cannot, by any circumstances, allow these malicious Mortals to escape unharmed. They must pay for attempting to harm you.'

Erin's heart leapt in response to his words, but she was desperate not to let her surprise show. 'I get that you're angry,' she replied, 'but you can't kill them. They don't deserve to die!'