Chapter Thirteen: Of Blood And Berries (Part I)

'I can't believe we're doing this!' Erin exclaimed. 'Do you know how idiotic this whole plan is?'

Hirst snorted. 'You're the one who agreed to help this overgrown bird get his property back.'

'I know what I agreed to! Why I don't know is how I persuaded you to guide us on this bloody venture!'

The far outskirts of Laistenbal consisted entirely of trees and dense vegetation, which enclosed itself around the three wanderers like a vast, misshapen dome. But still they continued, following the course of the single path that seemed to cut right through the foliage, forcing it aside.

Hirst, who had been marching ahead of Erin and Casius, suddenly stopped and twisted round. 'Look, lady, do you want to lead the way?' he asked, his brows furrowing, his forehead creasing. 'Because I'm more than happy to head back home and let you and Cassidy here deal with this task by yourself. I mean, if you're unsatisfied with my tracking skills—'

'It's not your tracking skills I'm unsatisfied with,' Erin interjected, 'it's the fact that we have zero rations and a long way to walk. Do you know how far the nearest town is? We'll starve before we reach it!'

Hirst shrugged. 'So? We can just eat wood and berries and...y'know, whatever else the woodlands has to offer.'

'I am not eating wood! I'll eat you before I turn to bark!'

He sneered. 'Now that's hot.'

With a disgruntled sigh, Erin turned towards Casius. 'Tell this lout that we're not eating trees!'

The angel stood alongside her, donning his usual, uncomprehending expression. Behind him, his wings flapped lazily, keeping him several inches above the ground. 'I personally do not see where the issues lies,' he confessed, his tone calm and precise. 'I think the small Mortal has a point. Given the intense circumstances, why shouldn't we go about turning to natural resources? If they're digestible, isn't that what counts?'

Erin deadpanned at his response. 'You're useless sometimes, you know that?' She straightened up and her half-lidded gaze trailed back over to Hirst. 'I say it again,' she said. 'We're not eating trees!'

'What about berries?' Hirst asked.

'They might be poisonous. I'm not taking that risk!'

'The dwarf took a step forward. 'You know, you're a magician. Why can't you make some rations if you're that bloody worried about it?'

Erin also moved forward. 'I don't know any spells that make food magically appear, you know!'

'Then what kind of magician are you?'

'A respected one, that's what!'

Each bitter remark resulted in the pair drawing closer and closer. Erin leaned forward, not stopping until her face loomed inches from Hirst's. She stared straight into the dwarf's suspecting blue eyes, which gradually narrowed under her disapproving gaze, and her whole body shook as she fought against her greatest temptation – to reach out and strangle the filthy lout.

Inside, she could feel her temper rising, which in turn caused her fingers to twitch and tremble, but still she was determined not to succumb to its overwhelming effects. Moments passed before Erin gained the sense to pull away.

There's no point killing him, she told herself. Not when he's so valuable to this quest.

'Alright, fine.' After taking a moment to reconsider her approach, Erin gave a forced smile and held up her hands. 'We'll eat trees and berries and squirrels and, hey, maybe even a baby dragon if we're lucky. Casius is right. If it's digestible, why shouldn't we go for it?'