Chapter 10

*Hazel's POV*

         We were sitting at lunch and we were talking about the situation this morning. "Danielle is super creepy." Andrew bit into the apple Mars gave him. "She's always on me. I hate it. I don't even like her." Bryan sighed. "You didn't have to slap her though, Hazel." Ryan pointed to me.

         "Ugh! I know that." I groaned taking a bite of my pizza. "Then why did you?" He asked again. "I don't know. I just got mad at her." I shrug. "Was it because she called you a side chick or the fact she was all over Bryan." Grant chuckled. Mars shot him a look.

         "What?! No. That wasn't the reason." I say. I could hear Mars' sigh of relief next to me. "Well, it don't matter anyway." Andrew said looking through his binder. "Hey Hazel, are we almost done with our project?" Bryan asked with boredom. "Um, no. We only have one bar." I look at him sternly.

           "Well when can we work on it?" Bryan asked. "We can't go to my house because no one's home. Can we go to yours?" I ask. "No. My dad's still mad at me. So we can go to the park after school if you want?" Bryan takes a granola bar from Mars. "I guess that would work." I say taking a bite into my pizza.

-------------------------------------------------------

   "How was your day?" I ask Bryan ask we started our walk to the park. "Look, I'm not here to talk. I just want to get this done and not fail. Okay?" Bryan continues to walk. "Alright." I trail off.

         After a bit of walking his stomach growls. "Are you hungry? Do you want to stop to get something to eat?" I ask him. "Um, sure. That's fine." Bryan sighs. "What do you want?" He asks looking around. "How do you feel about Taco Bell?" I look up at him. "That's okay." He says.

         We got into Taco Bell and ordered. Bryan paid since he actually had the money and we began our trip to the park.

    We found a spot to sit in the shade and set up our computers there. "Dang it." Bryan groaned. "What's wrong?" I ask. "My computer died." He looks at me. "We can use mine." I pull out mine. "Alright." Bryan takes a bite of his food. I log into the software we're using and find the file. "Okay. We have two weeks to work on this." I say taking a bite of my food.

         "How about we change it?" Bryan asked. "Mmm?" I look at him. "Make it slower. Because it's suppose to be about 'love." He looked at me. I nod in agreement. I take another bite of my food then he started laughing. "What?" I chuckle. "You have food on your face." he laughs. "Oh." I feel my my cheeks flush red. "Here." He hands me a napkin. I take it and wipe my face. "Thanks." I say feeling a bit embarrassed.

         He laughs again. "Don't feel embarrassed." I give him a confused look. "The way your face turns red." He laughs. "We're friends. Its fine." He laughs and I laugh along with him. "Okay, okay. We need to get this done." I say in between laughs. "Alright." He calms down.

         "Okay. So let's erase this and start over." He said scooting closer to me and deleting the old music. "Um, let's start with this." Bryan says creating a low beat. "That's good so far." I agree with his decision. "Ooo!" I jump. "Let's add in this." I say adding in a slow beat to keep the song going. Bryan plays it back. I listen to it.

         Then he adds the same bar again and while listening to it I kind of zone out. "So how'd you like it?" Bryan asked. I look at him and realize he's closer than he was before. "I like it. I think it's 'A+' worthy." I joke. He laughs.

         Then his laugh gets cut off when his phone rings. "Oh, sorry it's my dad." He apologizes as he answers the call. "It's fine." I shrug.

         "Hello... At the park with a friend...We have to work on a project... Because we can't go to her house and you said I can't have anyone over... But I need to get this done... Fine!" He hangs up the call. "Is everything okay?" I ask as he puts his phone in his pocket.

         "Not really. My dad says I need to get home. Sorry we couldn't work longer." He says. "It's fine. We can work on it tomorrow if you want. Back here again." I look around. "Yeah. That'd be cool." He agrees helping me pack up. "Do you walk home?" He asked me. "Yeah." I put my computer in my bag. "I can walk with you if you want." He offers. I stood there for a moment in shock.

What did he just say?

         "Um, Hazel?" Bryan snaps me out of my thought. "Oh yeah. That'd be great." I smile at him.

         For the rest of the time walking home he was being really nice. Like really nice. It felt odd but I didn't want him to stop being nice.

         For once it felt like he was accepting me as a person and not just a random person in his group. This might be weird but I hope he stays like this for now on.