Chapter 1

*Hazel's POV*

     "Hazel, it's time to get up!" My 12 year old sister, Sabrina, said as she jumped on my bed. "It's Monday! We got school!" My alarm rang and with sleepy eyes I turn it off and lay back down. It was the first day...for us anyway. We had just moved here last week because a fire had destroyed our house in Tennessee. So my parents moved me, my older brother and my little sister to California. Great!

     At my old school I had plenty of friends. Well just not with girls. My older brother, Terrance and I were really, really close when we were little and we'd always play with his toys so I guess I found interest in being a tomboy. Sure, I love spending time with my sister but I refuse to play with her Barbies. Like why are Barbie dolls made so skinny if they're supposed to represent what every girl is supposed to look like, imperfect.

     "Lets go! Get up!" My mom said walking past my room to go to Terrence's with a basket of his clothes. "Yeah! What mom said!" Sabrina pounced on me one more time and left out my room. "Fine!" I say pushing the blanket off of me. I walked to my closet and chose some denim jeans, a white T-shirt, black high top converse and a black beanie. I set that on my bed and grabbed my towel to go take a shower.

I was a few feet away from the bathroom door when I heard running footsteps behind me. I realize that was Terrance and started to run to the bathroom so I can take my shower first. When I get to the bathroom I shut the door behind me. "C'mon Hazel! You took a shower last night! Let me take mine first!" Terrance yelled banging on the door.

       It was true. I did take mine last night. But it was a habit for me to take one every night and morning. "No! I got here first. Now your gonna have to wait just like Saturday!" I shout back with my back to the door trying to keep it closed. Then I feel the door fly open knocking me to the ground. I hated how much stronger he was.

       He then barged in and dragged me out leaving me in the hallway. "Can I have my towel at least!" I say. He then grabbed my towel off the floor and threw it into the hallway too. "Thanks!" I say as he closes the door. "No problem."

I went back to my room to change into my outfit and headed to the kitchen.

     "Morning Hazel." Sabrina says with a mouth full of french toast. "Morning." I say back as I get a plate from the pantry. "Would you like eggs too?" My mom says putting a slice of french  toast on my plate. "No thanks." She hands me my plate and I get a fork and a glass of orange juice and sit at the table.

       "Hazel, I'm so nervous for school! What if I get bullied or don't make any friends?!?" Sabrina looks at me with concern in her eyes. Sabrina was normally hyper and excited but nervous. I've never seen. "You'll make friends. Just not boyfriends." Terrance says pulling on a shirt while walking in the kitchen. How'd he take a shower so fast? 

       "But Hazel has boyfriends!" Sabrina points at me. My eyes go wide with confusion and a bit of terror. Terrance was super protective over us. He didn't really like when I hung out with boys. But I think it's because he knows how they're like. "No I don't!" I say almost shouting making sure Terrance heard loud and clear.

     "Hazel doesn't have a boyfriend," Terrance eyes me. "She's only friends with them." I nod my head dramatically so he understood. "School will be fine, Bri." My mom says handing a plate to Terrance.

       "Oh no thanks mom. Me and Hazel will be late if I eat now. We have to get going." Terrance replied rejecting the offer. I look at the clock. Its 7:15. Terrance and I had to walk to school because Mom wouldn't have time to take us to school and also get Sabrina to school on time.

     "Let's go Hazel!" Terrance says hugging Mom and Sabrina. I do the same and Terrance and I grab our bags and our skateboards.

       My skateboard was three years old and it had the print of a dice on the top part of the board. My best friend, Cory gave it to me on my 13th birthday. I really miss him.

       "Don't forget your phones!" Our mom calls as I was about to head out the door. Terrance grabs both of our phones off the counter where they were charging and he hands me mine and we leave out the door.