-Present Day-

July 21, 2022

It's such a beautiful day today. Not a single cloud in the sky, and the air is a comfortable temperature with a slight breeze.Not too hot and not too cold. The kind of day I'd have loved to spend with him. Walking barefoot through the sand, feeling the grainy texture between our toes and baking in the warm sun. Holding each other close and laughing at something stupid like we always did. This beach had always been a favourite spot of ours, but at the moment, the hypnotic sound of the water crashing into the shore drowned out the words that are being said to me by someone else.

"Kai, are you listening to me?"Daisy asks, somehow remaining patient with me.

She looks up at me through her long lashes, those bright blue eyes indeed beautiful, but not the ones I wish to be looking into.

"Yes. Sorry, I was just thinking."

The small girl links her arm with my own and leans closely into my side. It feels nice to hold someone so close again, to feel their warm presence next to mine. Of course,this isn't the same, but it feels nice nonetheless. Daisy is a sweet girl, and I care a great deal about her. She's quite a bit shorter than myself, but I find it adorable when she leans up on her tip-toes to kiss my cheek. Her long, sandy blonde hair cascades over her shoulders like a waterfall, but it's always in her face, which in all honesty is quite cute. She has mousy features, but when she smiles her face lights up so much and it may not be the smile I want to see,but it doesn't change the fact that it makes me feel that sense of warmth inside I haven't in a long time.

"What about? If I may ask,"She says, raising a curious brow.

I'm not sure how to respond to that. We've been hanging out for a year now, and started dating a couple weeks ago, but I still haven't gone into great detail about who he is. I never talked about it with anyone really, mostly because it still hurts. Though, she is the first person to make me feel this way in such a long time, maybe I owe her this much. I truly can't keep letting myself live in the past. Maybe it's time to let it out and at last--let it go.

"He used to like coming here. I guess I was just reminiscing," I say, looking out over the water as though I can see the memories playing like a film if I stare hard enough.

Daisy nods and I notice her smile falter. "The mystery person who saved you."

I don't reply, because she doesn't need one. She knows the answer already.

"Who was this mystery saviour of yours? Where are they now?" She asks after a long, thoughtful silence.

I smile at the thought of him. Oh, how I miss looking into his crystal blue eyes as his black messy hair falls into his eyes. The way his lips always turned up into a crooked smile when he saw me, and the way his tongue would poke out a little when he laughed hard enough. I miss seeing his pink, flushed cheeks when I complimented him. But, most of all, I miss the way he comforted me when the world knocked me down. He always picked me up when I fell,but these days, I have to get up and dust myself off.

"It's a long story..."

"I've got time," She says quietly, laying a gentle hand on my chest to make me look at her. "Please?"

I take a deep breath and turn to look at the pretty girl before me, "Well, I guess it all started when I was about eighteen years old."