Chapter 2 - Stupid door

Jillian's POV

I drove home with no music on. I hated driving. It made me think of things I constantly pushed out of my mind. My thoughts wandered to last summer and I was instantly filled with sorrow. Luckily, I arrived home quickly. I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

I closed the blinds and walked towards the one thing I hadn't used in ages, the piano. I cracked my knuckles and started playing "A thousand miles" by Vanessa Carlton. I sang along to the melody, hitting all the notes. Multiple waves of emotion overcame me to the point where it was unbearable. I ran off into my room and started crying. I squeezed my pillow, wishing for things I knew I could never have. I sighed. Life sucks.

Dan's POV

I whistled my way to my last class, ready to tease Jillian about her "tail". That's when I realized she wasn't there. I discreetly glanced at her friends, only to see them whispering.

"Where's mama J?" Jennifer asked Stephanie.

"Didn't you get her text? She's skipping. She said she's feeling sick."

"Oh oops I didn't see it. My bad." Jennifer blushed.

"Are you still texting what's-his-name?"

"His name is Ben, and yes I was. What's it to you?" She defended.

I tuned them out. So that's who Ben has been texting all this time. Ben's family was close to mine so we hung out a bit. Like me, he played soccer and was pretty fast on the field. For a while, he had been texting this mystery girl and refused to tell me who it was.

But that was not what nagged at me. Jillian had said she was ill? She looked perfectly fine a couple of minutes ago. Eh, whatever. Who knew what went on in that girl's head? She's probably on her period or something.

She never liked me for some reason and I have to say that didn't bother me much. She was just like all those other girls nowadays, fake. Her eyebrows were so weird. They were penciled, even her eyelashes were fake. For goodness sakes why did every girl assume that they had to look perfect? I shook the thought out of my head and started doodling in my books.

*******************************

Jillian's POV

The next day, I was about to go wake up my sister to tell her she'd be late, but then I remembered she was away on a business trip, leaving the whole house to myself. I ate breakfast quickly and changed into some ripped skinny jeans and an off the shoulder top. I grabbed a sweater, my bag and the keys before stepping outside. Once in the car, I decided to put some music on. Demons by Imagine Dragon blared all the way to school. Needless to say, I lived relatively close to school.

My first class was with Mrs. Brown. Whoop. Dee. Doo. I sighed as I walked in and as I anticipated, she bombarded me with questions.

"Ms. Myers, care to explain to me why you didn't show up for detention yesterday?"

"Asdfghjkl." I muttered.

"What?" She demanded.

"I was busy!" I yelled. Everybody stared.

"I expect to see you there tonight. No exceptions."

I snorted and shuffled to my usual seat. This was going to be a long day...

********************************

I was about to go to last period but I decided to ditch again. I texted the girls and left. When I got home, the first thing I did was call my sister.