Chapter 1 - holding a grudge

Jillian's POV

I strut down the hallways like I owned the school, wearing only the highest trends of course. At my sides were two of the hottest girls in town, my best friends, Jennifer Brian and Stephanie Millers.

People thought we were total hypocrites, which I must admit, was fine with me. I had gotten used to it and honestly? I loved the power that came with it; watching people practically cower in fear wherever we went, other girls glaring at us out of jealousy. It was ridiculous. People can be so judgmental. They think that with one look, they have you all figured out. Little did they know, we all have secrets...

I turned to Jenn, only to see her still texting her crush.

"Geez Jenn." I said. "Let the poor guy breathe."

Her cheeks flushed scarlet. "How do you know it's him? Maybe I was texting someone else, my brother, for instance."

Stef and I laughed at the feeble attempt. "Sure hun, whatever floats your boat." Stef said between laughs.

"C'mon I'm hungry, let's go eat" I suggested.

We walked towards our usual table in the center of the cafeteria. I took out my lunch and saw my favorite food, salad. Now don't get me wrong, I do care about my weight, but not to the point where I want to be particularly skinny. I just genuinely like salad. I used to make it every day as a kid. I remember my mom would call me the Salad Chef.

Mom...

"Well if it isn't the typical trio." Someone sneered, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I grumbled when I saw who it was.

Meet Dan Adams, the most annoying jock ever. I hated him with a burning passion. At first, I had just assumed he was a typical cocky jock who did stupid dares with his friends. Until one day, last summer, I came home to find that my house had been TP-ed. Who did it? Dan and his groupies, that's a no-brainer. Particularly since it was all over Facebook. What's the big deal, you ask? Well, when my dad was on the roof, cleaning off all the toilet paper, he slipped on toilet roll and fell. Dan injured my dad, and I hate him for it. Amongst other things, that is...

"Hello? Earth to Jillian?" He smirked.

"What the hell do you want?" I snapped at him. I really wanted to wring his neck right now. Feeling my level of frustration rise, I thought it best to steer clear of him. I would definitely not be able to survive with this jerk near me. Without giving him the time to answer, I turned on my heels and left the cafeteria.

I had no idea where I was going. I stepped outside and took a deep breath of fresh air. It was surprising what good the outdoors could bring to you. My eyes scanned the area, the schoolyard was deserted. Well, aside a couple further in the corner making out. Gross.

I sat at a picnic table and downed my lunch in a couple of minutes. Then I heard my phone buzz. I took it out of my pocket and glanced at the caller ID. It was Jenn.

I answered and snorted. "Finally let go of Ben?" I teased.

"Shut up. You know, I never should have told you about my crush." She mumbled.

"You had it coming." I shrugged. "You know I'm not too fond of jocks."

She sighed and gave me her usual speech. "You know not all jocks are bad" She said pointedly.

"Right." I bit out sarcastically. "Although I doubt that's why you called. What's up?"

"I think I should be asking you the same question, are you alright?" She asked.