Nos Histoire Romantique - Part Two

"Your brother told me that you have a crush on me."

"…Did he now?"

I nod. "Ummhmm. You don't have worry, though. I told him that he's reading too much into it, and that we're just friends."

"Ah…I see."

"I think he's just trying to stir up trouble, honestly. You know how the guys are. They're always saying that you're only nice to me because you want to be part of our group. They'll say anything to get me to turn on you."

Silence.

"What? What'd I say?"

"Nothing. It's nothing."

"Then why'd you get so quiet? I told you that there's nothing to worry about."

Silence. And then he turns to me. I'm taken aback by his piercing stare. "…What if it's true?"

I shrink a little. "What?"

"What if it's what my brother says is true?"

Again, does not compute. "Excuse me?"

"What if he's right? What if…" His voice trails, but only for a moment. "What if I really do have a crush on you?"

Silence. The sound of my fluttering heart floods my ears. My body gets really tight, and then it softens, timid, and vulnerable. And then, there is laughter. Boisterous, nervous laughter. It hides my weakness.

"Oh come on, don't be ridiculous! You know I'm with Mike. I have been since my first year of college. I could end up marrying the guy!"

"Yeah…I know."

"Besides…you're my friend, and damn good one at that. If you really did have a crush on me, it's make things all weird and everything. I'd hate to lose you over that."

"…I'd hate to lose you, too."

"Then, we agree. Besides, I don't think I think I could take Miriam in a fight. She's the only girl I think is actually tougher than me."

"Maybe…"

"Besides, you should give her a chance. She seems like a nice girl. Who knows, you might actually grow to like her."

"I don't know. We'll see."

We go on with our conversation. Tension is stocked and hidden away…on both sides. It will build and build with every subsequent meeting, until its inevitable release.

… …

– One Year Before My Exile –

"Are you ready yet? It's a rave, not the Masquerade Ball!"

"I'm just about done. Give me a minute!"

"Well, hurry up. I want to get there before the line gets too long. I told you want to show off my light stick skills."

"All right. I'm coming out now."

The door opens, and I gingerly step outside. His eyes widen so much, I feel like they may fall out. Somehow, that makes me smile.

"So…what do you think?" As if I have to ask.

"Ah…you…uh…" He's so cute when he stumbles over his words. "Is that a panda outfit?"