Ch1 - an unexpected invitation

"You called for me professor? Is everything alright?" Harry asked, his trunk in one hand, and his new snowy owl in the other.

"Yes, Potter. I have a job for you. And please call me Minerva."

"Of course. What kind of job is it?" he asked, a little worried. Was everything alright?

"No need to worry Potter. You see, 23 years ago in 1977, a mysterious teacher named Harry Parker taught Defense Against the Dark Arts for the school year."

Harry blinked in confusion for a second before he realised where McGonagall was heading.

"Professor? - I mean Minerva? are you saying -"

"Indeed Potter, that mysterious teacher was indeed you, who time travelled to the past."

Harry Potter, the boy who lived, the chosen one, the man who conquered. Ever since he defeated the infamous dark wizard, Lord Voldemort, he had become world-famous. Two years and four months after Voldemort's downfall, he was now a young man of 20 years who was working as an Auror.

To everyone, Harry was a powerful wizard who easily overcame any hurdle. However, he was growing tired of his name and fame, which he felt he did not deserve. Deep down, he was simply an overloaded ministry worker who needed a break.

This wish was surprisingly granted by Minerva McGonagall, his former Transfiguration professor, who was now Headmistress. On August 31st, he received an owl from her, urging him to meet her at Hogwarts immediately. It turned out that she had a peculiar, perilous but prodigious opportunity for him.

His task was to travel through time, back to 1977 and apply for the Defence Against the Dark Arts teaching post at Hogwarts.

However,his job would not be nearly as easy as an average teacher's, since 1977 was the final year for the Marauders, Lily Evans, Snape and Regulus Black.

How will Harry cope with seeing Dumbledore, Sirius, Remus and his parents alive?

Will he be able to keep his identity secret?

If Voldemort finds out, will Harry live?

Disclaimer: I do not own HARRY POTTER in any form. All the characters in my fanfiction belong to the amazing JK Rowling. I own nothing but the plot.

And please do not copy my work with my consent. I hope you enjoy my first fanfiction! The first few chapters are a little short, but I promise they will get longer.

This chapter was published on
12/02/2018

Ch1 - an unexpected invitation

2 years after the Battle Of Hogwarts, <31/08/2000>

Harry Potter was a young man of 20 years. It had been two years and four months since he conquered the infamous dark wizard, Lord Voldemort. He had recently finished his training and was now working as an Auror. Due to his fame, he was expecting a promotion any time, to be the Head of the Auror Department. He was also an Animagus, which took the form of a majestic stag. Harry Potter was a powerful, respected wizard. He was also engaged to Ginny Weasley, the love of his life, and would have his wedding in four months time. His life couldn't get any better. All was well.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Harry looked around to see where the noise was coming from. A small tawny owl was tapping its beak at the window outside. Concerned, Harry opened the window and let the owl in. He noticed a letter clutched in its feet. Strange, he thought. He wasn't expecting any letters at this time. Furthermore, it was from Professor McGonagall. What could she be writing to him for? Curious, he began to unravel it. Harry read the letter from in his Auror office, nervously spinning the engagement ring on his finger.

The letter informed him to meet McGonagall at her office at Hogwarts at 9 am sharp, on the last day of the summer break, just before the new term would commence. That was today. The letter also mentioned that Hary should come with his things packed, indicating that he would be going somewhere for a while. What would be the reason? He needed to go home and talk to Ginny about this.

Abandoning his outstanding paperwork, Harry immediately disapparated to his house, Number 12 Grimmauld Place and pulled out his old Hogwarts trunk from under his bed. With a wave of his wand, all his needed belongings were neatly packed, including his old Gryffindor robes, the Marauders Map and his invisibility cloak. He didn't exactly know what, but something gave him an inkling that they might come in handy.

Opening a small glass jar, Harry took out a fistful of green glittering powder from it and strode over to his fireplace.

"Hogwarts, Headmistress's office!" he yelled, as the fire turned emerald green and he vanished.