Questions

**********

Lenore

"How are you feeling now?" I ask Harry, who's still recovering from a terrible hangover.

He groans and sips some more water while holding his forehead.

"Not good. My forehead's pounding."

"Well that serves you right. No one asked you to drink more than you could handle. In fact, you're not supposed to be drinking right now." Harry and I are the same age, he's just older than me with a few months. I'm scolding him like I'm his mom, because clearly, my parents care more about debts than their own child. I'm not saying the debts aren't to be taken seriously but still. When I told mom that he was drunk last night, she just told me to let him sleep it off. Dad just shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't known what came over me. I've just never thought about anything as much as I did yesterday, Lenny."

I smile, not because he's feeling remorseful, but because he called me Lenny. He stopped calling me that two days ago when I told him about Emma. I go back to 'mom' mode, then clear my throat.

"Well, don't do that again." I take a chair and sit beside him on the dining table.

"I know, I'm really sorry sis. I was just.. sad, I think. I didn't want to admit it but, I was sad that you're going to leave. But now that I think about it, I was being really selfish. This is your sister. Blood sister. And you haven't seen her in years. So you must want to be with her as much as you can right now. And I really respect that. I'm not happy about it, but I respect it. I just hope you won't forget me." He tells me, then groans again. "Stupid headache." He mutters.

I don't want to say anything. I don't even know what to say. He's right, but I still don't want to let him go like that. I just wrap my arms around him and hug him as tight as I can. And, I can feel his smile.

***********

After school, I go upstairs and knock on the bedroom door of Mom and Dad. I hear a 'Come in' and I take a deep breath then twist the knob and enter.

Mom's lying down, but she's awake and Dad's sleeping.

"Hey, mom." I whisper, trying not to wake Dad up.

"You don't have to whisper. He's a deep sleeper." She informs me.

"Oh. Uh, I just wanted to ask something. Just randomly, though."

She nods.

I play with my fingers, then walk over to the bed and sit beside her legs.

"It's about my.. mom."

She stiffens. That can't be good.

"What about her?"

"Do you maybe have any idea where she could be? Or, you know, if she's still..alive?"

"Where is this coming from Lenore? Did something happen?" Mom asks.

"No, not at all. I just never ask about her. I just want to know, that's all." I continue to play with my fingers.

"Well..Lenore.. When your mom dropped you..here..she told.. your dad and I that..well.."

She's hesitating too  much. This can't be good news.

"That she was sick.. And a few days later, well.. she..died."

Emma

"School was so boring today." Lana whines, as we're walking to our homes after school. We live close to each other, but my house is farther than hers. I don't like driving, I prefer walking. It makes me know my environment a whole much more.

"Tell me about it. Will anything juicy ever happen?"I agree with her, whining too.

"I guess not. Soo.. What about your sister? Are you two still seeing each other?"

"Yes, we're meeting today again." I say and I smile.

"I don't want to look like I'm selfish, but.. I miss you a lot. We never get to talk anymore." She avoids my eyes and looks ahead.

She's right. I haven't been calling her as much as I used to. It's not like I don't need her anymore, but I've just been so excited about seeing Lenore.

Lana has been there for me through the good times and the bad times. She loves me for me, and she's always been a great friend. And now, I'm not even caring about her anymore. I feel so bad right now. I stop walking, and so does she.

"Lana, I'm so sorry. I don't want you to think I forgot about you. I will never forget you. I promise it won't happen again." 

"It's cool, I'd have done the exact same thing. But, I forgive you Em."

I smile.

"We can hang out sometime, just the three of us." I suggest and she nods.

"Okay, that's fine with me. By the way, you should be more serious. It's a good look for you." She says and starts to laugh loudly.

This girl is crazy. But I love her.

************

"Hey, Rick?" I call.

He looks up from the TV. "Yeah?"

"Are Mom and Dad home?" I ask.

"Dad's home, but Mom's not. She took Ruby to the park." He says and rolls his eyes at the last part. "The first time I want to do something with Ruby, Mom doesn't even invite me." He says, shrugs then starts to watch TV again.

"Sorry." I tell him and he nods.

Thank goodness. I can talk to Dad freely. I guess we have a special bond.

I knock on the door and he tells me to come in. When I do, I see him drinking some medicine.

"Dad? You okay?" I walk over to the bed and sit beside him. If mom was here, she'd never let me sit, she'd say I have 'teenager germs'. It always makes me wonder when scientists ever said there was anything like 'teenager germs.'

"Yes, just a little headache, Darling. Do you need something?" He asks.

"Yes. Just some info about my birth mom."

He nods, but I can see he's tensed.

"Well, I just wanted to know if she's... still here.. Or if she's still alive."

I gulp. I don't think I'm ready for the answer.

"You never ask questions about your mother. Did anything happen?"

"Yes. Curiosity happened. I'm curious, okay? Please answer me, Dad."

"Well, Em, your mother got sick. And, it was so severe that it..killed her."

*********

A/n: How was this chapter?

Hope you like it.

I'm very happy for the support I'm getting. Thank you all so much.

Xo.❤