Family issues

100+ reads and 50+ votes. Eek! I'm so happy rn. Thank you❤❤❤😊
Emma

Mom and dad came home after school the next day. I had to force myself to talk to Ruby in front of them and Rick had to force himself to talk to me too.

"Did Em do a good job taking care of you guys?" Dad asks and the two nonchalantly nod their heads. I'm happy both of them didn't rat me out.

"Mom, Emma said I'm not her sister anymore." Ruby whines when Dad leaves the room.

I spoke too soon.

Mom's head turns faster than I've ever seen any head turn before.

"What is she talking, Emma?" Mom's tone is harsh, and I am not surprised. The way she pampers Ruby is so annoying.

"Nothing." I don't want to pick a fight with anyone, not right now. If Lenny had a phone, I would have called her to tell her I'd be at the shop late. This whole drama will take a long time to die down.

"Answer her Emma. Even Rick was there. Right, Rick?" She looks at her brother for approval but he doesn't even look her way. "Whatever. But mom, she's been ignoring me for the past two days. She's just pretending to talk to me because you guys are here."

Snitch.

"What's gotten into you, Emma? She's still a little girl and you're.."

"You haven't even heard my side of the story and you're already scolding me!" I cut her off and now she's mad.

"Don't you dare interrupt me when I'm speaking to you, young lady. Your side of the story doesn't matter here. What were you thinking disowning your own sister?"

"She's not my sister. I'm sick and tired of you always encouraging Ruby to disrespect me!"

"What's going on over there?!" Dad's voice echoes through the hallway.

"Nothing, sweetie!" Mom yells back, because she knows if dad hears about it, he'll take my side.

"We'll talk later." Mom says to me then takes Ruby by the hand. "Want some treats Ruby?" Ruby nods.

I want to scream. Or just punch something. Or someone.

"What about you Rick?" Rick shakes his head.

The two head upstairs.

Rick doesn't look at me at all and I have to ask, "Will you tell them about Lenore?"

"No. It's not my story to tell. You should tell them yourselves."

I smile at him and hug him. He surprisingly hugs back.

"I'm not mad at you anymore Em. I guess I'm just going to miss you so much when you leave."

When I leave. What's my plan? Two teenage girls living together? I have no idea. I choose not to answer him. Yet.

"I got to go out now. See you later, okay?"

"Okay. Bring something back for me." He blushes while he says so and I laugh and nod.

Once I step out the door, I take a deep breath and walk.

Lenore

"I'm heading out, mom." I tell mom who's writing what seems like a letter.

"Yeah, whatever."

Ouch.

"Uh, mom, I got a job yesterday. Isn't that amazing for us?" I ask, and she just nods. She's clearly not listening to me. I sigh and start to walk towards the door.

I haven't seen Harry since today. He didn't say bye to me before going to school and he came back before me, because I saw his bag in the living room. He's avoiding me.

I open the door and I stumble on something.

I almost fall but someone holds onto my arm.

Once I regain my balance, I see that it's Harry.

I didn't stumble on something, it was on someone.

"Thank you for saving me, I guess."

This is awkward.

"Yeah."

"Why are you just sitting on the porch alone?" I decide to sit beside him. I purposely sit so close to him, so now, our shoulders are brushing. I'm surprised he doesn't pull away.

"I'm thinking." He says then starts to look at his bare feet.

"Oh. About what?"

"Everything."

What am I supposed to say now?

"Oh.  I'm.. um..heading out to see Emma." I whisper, even though I know Mom can't hear me.

"Okay. Have fun, I guess." He tells me, then stands up and walks back inside.

Yeah, he's still mad.

********

"So your mom didn't even listen?" I ask Em, and I'm in shock. From what I'm hearing, I don't think I like this Ruby so much.

"Nope. That's what I suffer in that house. It's  hell there."

"Hell with money." I say and laugh. Em scoffs.

"I'd rather be in heaven with no money than in hell with money. Rick freaked out when I told him about you." She takes a bite out of her cheesecake.

I've barely even touched my milkshake. I just want to know everything about her.

"Harry did too. He's avoiding me. He thinks I want to leave him for you. Which is true, but it's still very confusing. What are we going to do?"

"I don't know. I still haven't told my parents. They'd freak. Especially my mom." She says then corrects herself. "Ruby's mom. I'd rather have Rick and dad."

I laugh. "Maybe during the summer we can figure something out. But in the meantime, I think we should focus on finding our mom."

"We don't know if she's still in the city. Let's ask our parents first. Then we can meet back here tomorrow." Em suggests and I nod. She's still smart as always.

The rest of the evening is spent with us catching up.

***********

"Harry? I'm home!" No answer.

"Keep it down!" Dad yells and I roll my eyes.

"Harry?" No answer.

Where the hell is he?

I see him on the couch and my heart settles. I thought he was gone for a second.

I try to wake him up and that's when I smell it.

Alcohol.

"Lennyyy." He slurs.

Harry's drunk.

*******

A/n: Uh oh. Look what Harry's done😭😭

If you like this story, please say aye😂

Joking.

But please give me feedback and vote

Thank you❤❤