Thinking about each other

Emma

"Wake up, sleepyhead!" Ruby says, while hovering me and hitting my head. I groan, and open my sleepy eyes. "Get off of me Ruby." I say and she smiles and jumps down to the ground.

For a 7 year old, she sure knows how to get her way. "What do you want? It's a Saturday and --" I pause and look at the clock, "--it's still 8."

"Mom and Dad aren't home, they didn't come home yesterday and I'm starving. Rick is too. Make us some breakfast." She orders and I stare at her and scoff. I love her a lot, but she acts like a brat. Rick has more manners than her. He's her older brother.

"I'm not making you anything until you ask politely. You can't just order me around." I tell her and walk to the bathroom to wash my face.

And of course, she follows me and starts to throw a tantrum. "Why are you always so mean?! Do I have to beg you for everything?! And while you're in there, brush your teeth. It stinks." She says and I turn to face her.

"Ruby, it's called morning breath. And secondly, scream at me all you want. You won't get breakfast until you stop acting like a brat."

She hates that word, and she hates me calling her one. Her face turns red and I can imagine smoke coming out of her tiny ears.

She doesn't reply, she just turns on her heel and walks out.

°°°°°°°°°°°

After making breakfast for Rick and an angry Ruby thirty minutes later, I start to clear the dishes and clean the house. Mom called to say that she and Dad won't be back till Wednesday.

Great. Now I have to babysit these two rascals for 4 days.

This school year will end in 3 weeks and I can't wait to finally get a job so I won't always be home. Dad offered to give me a job in one of his companies and I declined the offer. I shouldn't depend on his money. Nothing is going to be given to me on a silver platter.

As I vacuum Ruby's room, I start to think about my sister. I'll never understand why my mom -biological mom- decided to separate us. I've tried and tried to find Lenore, but she could be anywhere in the world. I miss her, even though we were still little when we were given away. I can still remember her. I'll know her if I see her, I just need to find her.

As much as I value my family right now, I still miss my mom and my twin sister. I have no idea where they are, and that's what hurts so damn much.

"Em?" I hear Rick say from the doorway. I instantly snap out of my thoughts. "Yes, are you okay?"

"I need you to help me with an assignment. Please?" He pleads and I smile. Ruby would never say please. "Of course. When I'm done, I'll come help you, okay?" I say and he nods and murmurs a "Thank you."

Lenore

"Harry! Lenore! Breakfast!" I hear mom call from downstairs. I immediately make my bed and brush my teeth before the food gets cold. I'm walking down the stairs and I almost trip on a shoe. Of course. It's Harry's. When will he ever learn how to be clean?

I see him downstairs with his shirt worn backwards and hit the shoe on his head. "Oww. What was that for?" He asks, with his mouth full. Gross.

"You're a slob. I almost fell because of your stupid shoe." I inform him and sit down.

"I bet that would have been a good sight." He says and laughs. I roll my eyes and stare at the food in front of me. Eggs and one piece of toast with a glass of water. Everyday, we eat this. It's kinda grown on me, because I have no choice.

I sigh and start to eat and within a few minutes I'm done. I thank mom and wash the dishes while Harry plays video games. That boy is lazy. I love him like he's my real brother, because he has his moments. Those moments I see rarely. Those moments that happen when I get bullied and he beats up some people. Or when I get injured.

And there are moments when I feel like strangling him. And then, I start to think about Emma. Emma, my sister. I miss her so much. I miss mom. I used to hate mom. Hate her for being so heartless. I used to think negatively. I used to hate everybody. I hated that I wasn't privileged. I hated everything. Until my parents took me for therapy sessions. And after a year and a half, I started to heal. I've become a better person. I don't ever want to go back to being that girl that used to be hateful.

Emma and I were always together when we were little. I hated when we went for play dates and people used to make her cry. Then I would start crying too. It incensed me to see her sad, now I can't even see her anymore.

I love my family, I mean they took me in, and they helped me. We aren't rich, we aren't poor. We have enough we need. I don't get fancy cars. Or anything flashy. But I'm fine with that. School ends in a month and I need to get a job, to support my family in any way that I can.

"You okay, sis?" I jump when I hear Harry's voice.

"Uh.. Yeah. Why are you asking?"

"Well, I've been in here, watching you for a while, just staring into space." He says and in order to avoid explaining what I'm thinking about to him, I change the subject.

"Whoa, creep alert. Who watches someone washing the dishes?" I say and fake a laugh.

He stares at me knowingly and I give up. "Fine. I was thinking about Emma again."

He moves closer to me but he doesn't say a word. He just pulls me into a warm hug. And these are the moments when I'm glad I have Harry.

°°°°°°
A/N:

Whooo!! New book, again.

I just hope I stay committed to this one.

What do you think of the first chapter?

Please, comment and vote.

Thank you.

Emma and Lenore जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें