Banana Peels and Ex sisters

Chapter dedicated to kklmoody for being so supportive.

Lenore

"Do you have any job openings? I really need one before summer starts." I ask the weird bearded man looking at me like I've got a loose screw.

"Kid, this is a perfume store. Not a playground. We need responsible people to handle our business." He says and scoffs.

"Sir, I'm very responsible. I promise if you hire me for any job, I won't let you down."

"Shut the door on your way out." He says, then walks into a room and slams the door. I sigh, then walk out and check my worn out wristwatch for the time. 5:48pm. I've been walking around the streets for almost three hours. Mondays were never even my day anyway.

I look down the streets and see The Landon's Company building almost touching the sun. I heard that Mr. Landon, the owner, is a multi billionaire. He has three children, one's adopted.
I'd never get any job in such a fancy company.

I guess mom was right. I'll never get a job anywhere, since I'm a teenager. I sigh again for like the ninth time today, then decide to walk back home.

On my way back, I almost trip on a banana peel. I groan, then kick the peel away angrily with my leg.

"Whoa. Easy there, kid."

I see a short, friendly looking man smiling at me, then asking, "Do you need something?"

"Uh, no. Thanks." I say, because for all I know, this dude may be a kidnapper. No one knows.

"Sure?" He asks again and I notice he's dressed in a red polo and some horrendous black shorts. Probably his work clothes.

"Its not really any of your business though." I say, pause then continue, "Well, I'm kinda looking for a job. But nobody wants to hire me. So I'm just heading back home."

I start to walk away.

"Wait!" The man yells.

I turn to face him and groan again.

"You need a job? Hmm, well, I just hired two teenage girls who needed jobs too. You could work with them for the mean time until you can get yourself a better job. The pay for you won't be as decent as theirs, but it's still reasonable. My name's Mr Tony. I own McKay's Ice Cream Shop."

Right now, my mouth is wide open. I was so rude to the owner of THE McKay's shop. O.m.g. Everyone who goes there thinks it's like Disneyland or something. I've only gone there once, when mom and Emma were still with me. And the owner just offered me a job! " I'm so, so sorry I was rude to you! Thank you so much!! You have no idea how happy I am that I almost fell on my butt because it gave me the chance to meet you!" I say and hug him until I'm pretty sure he's breathless. When he pulls away, he's gasping for air.  I chuckle.

"Okay, okay. You got the job, kiddo. Come down to the shop tomorrow and we'll discuss some rules and details." He tells me and I hug him again, harder this time.

Thank you, banana peel.

*******

"Mom! Dad! I'm home!" I yell but I get no answer.

For a moment, I'm scared something happened to my parents. Until I get to the study table and see mom and dad reading a few files. "You won't believe what happened today!"

Dad finally looks up and I'm expecting him to share my excitement but he just says, "I'm really busy now, we can talk later. Okay, sweetie?" He looks down again and I mumble an "okay." Mom doesn't even act like I'm in the room.

I walk to my room, and plop down on my bed. These are the times when I need Emma. My mom. Just anybody. It's times like these when I feel lonely and there's no one there for me.

Emma

When I enter the house, I see Rick reading a huge textbook. I just smile, because Rick is just... Rick. You'll never find him wasting his  time, unlike someone else I know.

"Rick! Come here!" Ruby screams

Speak of the devil.

Rick just rolls his eyes, and I try not to laugh. I'd do the same. A few seconds later, she comes running downstairs and when she sees me, she gives me a bad stare and I cringe. Will this girl learn some manners? I was expecting her to apologize. But I guess you can never predict what Ruby will or will not do.

"Riiick!! I need you to come for my homework for me while I watch TV." She whines. She does this every single day and every single day, I ignore her. But not today.

"Ruby. Go do your homework. Now. Don't make me call Dad." I say and she gives me a bad stare again. Dad doesn't tolerate Ruby's bad characters, but mom spoils her like hell.

"Oh, right. Little miss 'I'm your sister and you have to obey me' is back, huh?" She says and rolls her eyes and I get angry.

"You know what? Fine. You don't want me to care about you? I won't. I'm not your real sister and I'm glad I'm not. I'd never want to be related to such a bratty person. From now on, you're just someone I live with. You're not my sister and I'm not yours too. So, do whatever you want whenever you want. I won't cook for you, won't prepare baths for you, won't help you anymore. So yes, Ruby. You get your wish. I won't boss you around anymore."

Rick's mouth is open and I walk over to him and shut it closed then climb the stairs up to my room. I didn't bother to glance at Ruby because I really am done with her. She keeps crossing her boundaries and I'm done. The sooner she learns some manners, the better.

I'm going to see Mr. Tony tomorrow. I'm so stoked to finally have a job. And in McKay's Ice Cream Shop of all places! At least, it'll get my mind off Lenore for a while.

But, I don't want to forget her.

I miss her.

*****

A/n:

I need a new cover😢😢

Who's gonna help?

Anyway, how'd you like this chapter? Ik it's not the best, but I hope you give me some feedback.

Thank you
💖💖