Chapter 20

After taking a much needed shower and doing my hair I paced back and forth debating on whether or not I was going to wear one of the outfits that Brooke and Sara had forced me to buy when we went shopping the week before.

I sighed, knowing that if I didn't pick something new the two of them would have a fit, but these outfits were so out of the comfort zone of my guarded self. I could feel her nagging in my subconcious and I chose to just roll my eyes and ignore her. I was going to pick an outfit from this selection, because they reflected the person I now was, the person I had secretly always wanted to be. 

After ten minutes of careful consideration and constantly looking at the clock, I chose a burgundy fit and flare dress with short lace sleeves, a pair of black high top converse, and a dark blue denim jacket. I got dressed and looked in the mirror.

"You look ridiculous, go put on a pair of sweats. This isn't you," she whispered, and I could picture her sitting down in a chair with a book in one hand and staring me down disapprovingly. Though, I did not need her approval, it was as if pre college Paige was one person and college Paige was another. I refused to allow myself to go back to my old ways.

I gave myself one last glance and walked out of my room, I checked the time on my phone; we had ten minutes until it was time to meet Brooke, Xavier, Archer, and Sara at our usual breakfast spot. I walked over to Hunter's room and just as I was about to knock on the door I heard something that made me stop dead in my tracks; he was on the phone with someone.

"Yes, I know it's soon but she's amazing, I really want her to meet you guys," he said hastily.

"No, I don't want to wait. She's not like her, she's so much better. You'll love her,"

"Of course I haven't told her about Amber,"

"I understand that, Cassidy but you'll just have to see for yourself. It's almost November, which means that Thanksgiving will be here soon, I still have to ask her but I hope she says yes."

"She's beautiful, smart, funny, compassionate, caring, I could go on and on. I've never met anyone like her at all. She's perfect, she's Brooke's best friend and Xavier adores her, she's like his little sister."

"You'll just have to see for yourself, but hey I have to go. She and I need to go meet Brooke, Xavier, Sara, and Archer at Paul Bunyan."

"Alright, I love you too. I'll talk to you later." 

I stood there for a moment in shock, even my sub concious had shut up.

I backed up a few feet, and looked down at my phone making it seem as though I was just leaving my room when he opened the door.

"Wow," he said, which caused me to look up at him, and I doubted there would ever be a day where my heart got use to how beautiful he was. My man, my Hunter, all clean and shaven, bed hair tamed and wearing a dark blue denim button up, dark blue jeans, and a black pair of air jordans.

"Wow yourself," I chuckled as he walked to me, he stroked my face gently and stared into my eyes.

"You know you're the most beautiful girl in the world, right?" he said, and I could tell that he meant it.

"Most? That's debatable. But you do make me feel like I am," I said smiling up at him.

"Most," he said, and then kissed my forehead which caused all my blood to flow to my cheeks.

"Come on, Casanova. I'm still hungry and we've got to meet the gang at PB," I said, grabbing his hand and pulling him out the door with me.

It was sunny and warm so I released his hand, just so I could take off my jacket and wrap it around my waist.

"I really like that dress on you," he said, taking my hand again and we strolled hand in hand to Paul Bunyan, perhaps the best breakfast cafe that I had ever been to.

"Thank you, babe" I said, but my mind was wandering back to the conversation he had with this Cassidy person, and I wondered who Amber was.

This would all clear up when I asked Brooke who they were, I was curious but I wasn't at all worried. He pulled me to him, letting go of my hand and wrapping his arm around my waist as we walked silently. Though, it wasn't the awkward kind of silence, it was a good kind, when words failed to come and there was no need to speak.

We were comfortable with each other in that way, in all ways really. I never really felt like I had to speak all the time when I was with him, things were simply the way that they were, and it was beautiful. The next thursday would be our one month, and I wondered if he was even the type to celebrate monthly anniversaries.

I looked at the bright blue cloudless California sky, it was beautiful, so much better than New York this time of year, the palm trees made me think of a tropical paradise which this could be considered. I had been wanting to move here ever since I was a child, and here I finally was, I had made it here and I was just now realizing it.

"What're you thinking about?" he asked when we were almost there.

"Nothing, just how beautiful this place is, it kind of just takes my breath away," I said.

"Yeah, I know what you mean, it really is," he said, burrowing his face in my hair.

We were a few feet away from the restaurant when I heard Brooke's voice call out my name, and then a few moments later she ran out the front door as if she hadn't just seen me the day before. Hunter let go of me just as she all but knocked me over in a bone crushing hug that made me wince and laugh.

"Hi Bookie," I said, calling her by her newly adopted nickname given to her by Sara and I.

Ever since we'd started school, when she wasn't with us, at soccer practice, or spending time with Xavier she had her nose in a book.

"Hi Paiges," she said in a chiper tone and then stepped back abruptly to examine my outfit.

She took a long glance at my clothes with an expressionless face, I swear, as happy go lucky as Brooke is, she knows how to be extremely intimidating and terrifying when she wants to be.

"I am so proud," she said, pressing her hand to her heart and pretending to get teary eyed.

I took a moment to examine her outfit as well, a white off the shoulder crop top, long bohemian salmon pink skirt and flats the same color, of course her hair flowed around in ringlets around her small face.

"Hi Hunter," she said, peering her head around me so that she could see him better.

"Hi little sister, are you done bothering my girlfriend?" he asked, and even though I wasn't facing him, I was willing to bet my bottom dollar that he had his world famous Hunter Ricci smirk on.

Brooke simply stuck her tongue out at him as he came from behind me to hug her, they had become so much closer in the months that we'd been going to school together and everyone could see that.

"I wasn't doing anything wrong, and you're only like three months older than me," she said pouting and furrowing her brow as she hugged him back.

"True, but I am also a foot taller than you." he said, teasing her and she rolled her eyes.

"Come on you guys, the others are waiting for us inside," she said, grabbing both of our hands and pulling us to the entrance.

It was either now or never, I wasn't going to get a chance to be alone with Brooke for the rest of the day.

"Wait, actually I need to speak to Brooke alone," I said, and Hunter looked at me confused for a moment and I knew that he was going to question me about this later on.

"Okay baby, I'll see you inside," he said leaning down to kiss my forehead before he opened the doors and walked to where Xavier, Sara, and Archer were sitting.

"What's going on Paige?" Brooke asked, after she looked to make sure he was gone; she looked concerned.

"Brooke, who are Cassidy and Amber?" I asked.

Her jaw dropped and as did my stomach, because the look on her face told me that this was not going to be good.