Chapter 16

All Rights Reserved © Copyright 2013.

            I felt like absolute crap, not because I had been spending the past two months avoiding Hunter, which happened to be harder than I thought it would have been. It was actually quite hard, especially when I realized that he was extremely persistent, but I managed to stay away from him. I didn’t want to talk to him about the kiss, and I knew for a fact that, that was what he wanted to talk about. How could I explain to him that I thought it was a mistake, without things becoming awkward?

I couldn’t, because I knew that he would look at me with those big silver greyish eyes of his, and I would most likely melt. This was the reason why I needed to steer clear of him, because even though I had become even more convinced that he was a good hearted person, I refuse to let what happened that day at the pier to happen again.

I found that I had gotten distracted again, and looked up at the smart board which a moment after, went blank. People started to rise up from their seats and rush into the hallways, class was obviously over. I rose up quickly, swinging my bag over my shoulder and headed out of the door with the mix of remaining students. I had soccer tryouts with Brooke and Sara, who I had to tell about Hunter and I, I mean they were getting suspicious, but they promised they would act like they never found out. Even though they both insist that Hunter and I are perfect together.

Well, when I put it like that…it makes it seem like he and I are secretly a thing, which we most definitely are not.

I still couldn’t believe that they’d talked me into trying out for soccer with them; I had a serious lack of hand eye coordination, and a fear of falling on my face in front of people.

“Hey Paigey!” Brooke yelled, hugging me tightly. We barely ever hung out anymore because she was always with Xavier, not that I could blame her, because her boyfriend is the sweetest guy alive, he and Archer are the closest things I’ve ever had to brothers; but well, when Brooke hangs out with Xavier, Hunter always hangs out with them, as does Sara and Archer.

I was glad that everyone was getting along, even though from what I could tell; Hunter still wasn’t very fond of Archer.

“Hey Brookie,” I said, hugging her tighter; she and Sara had both proved themselves very trust worthy, enough so that I could call them my best friends.

“Come on, Sara is waiting for us in the field,” she said, grabbing my hand and leading me out there.

It was hot and sunny, even though it was the middle of October; but that’s California for you. I looked down at my thin black long sleeved shirt, black shorts, and black and white cleats, I guessed this was suitable; not to mention my hair was in a French braid, so no worries there.

“You know you look really cute, has Hunter seen you today?” she asked, raising an eyebrow at me, trying to fight a smirk.

“No, I left before he woke up, why?” I asked, curiously. I felt like she was up to something, but I ignored the feeling.

“Because if he catches a glimpse of you, he’s going to die; Hunter has always loved athletic girls, and you look gorgeous,” she said, pursing her lips.

“Is that why you wanted me to go out for soccer?” I asked, I felt a little hurt.

“No, no! Hunter already knows how he feels about you, there’s no way to persuade him now, I wanted you to try out so the three of us could be on the team together!” she yelled eagerly, and gave me the most hopeful smile I’d ever seen, which calmed me down.