Chapter Seventeen

Harry

I knew what I was doing was crazy and stupid and exactly what I shouldn't be doing, but I couldn't care less.

I jogged down the hall into the main room, looking through the bins in the back for a backpack. I managed to find a sling-sack and threw it over my shoulder. I grabbed a few more clothing items and then head to the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle and a granola bar. I silently made my way back to my aisle and started packing.

I stuffed the clothes in first, followed by a flashlight, the water bottle, and the granola bars. I saw Scarlett's camera on the shelf and grabbed it, putting it in the bag. If I took pictures on my way out of the city, I could use them to find my way back to the library in the event I got lost.

I changed into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt before remembering it was raining. I grabbed a hoodie I had been wearing from the bin and threw it on. It was half past four in the morning. I knew I wouldn't be able to take the same route out that I did coming in because there were Containers there. I needed to go a longer way. I was hoping it didn't take more than two hours.

I took one last look around the aisle, making sure I had grabbed everything. I realized I should leave a note. I still hadn't decided where I was staying. I had been with this group for nearly a month and most of them felt like family to me, but the boys were also my family. Regardless, I would come back here either to stay or to let them all know that I was leaving.

I grabbed a notebook and pen that sat on the shelf near my head and scribbled out a note. I said that I wouldn't be more than three days and that I would be alright. I explained that I was going to see the boys even though I knew how dangerous it was and told them not to come after me. After signing it, I read it over and folded it in half. I subconsciously wrote Tara's name on it, realizing that I automatically thought to leave it with her.

I held the note in my hand and put the backpack on my back before sneaking towards Tara's room, praying that she had fallen asleep. Sure enough, after knocking on the door and receiving no answer, I moved the sheet to find Tara fast asleep in her bed. She had fallen asleep with her glasses on, the book laying beside her and the candles having all gone out. Her face looked contorted in pain but her body was motionless.

I slid the pack off and left it outside the door before heading in and assuming my position beside her head. I slowly slipped her glasses off, placing them on the cart next to her. I ran my hand through her hair and smiled down at her. I realized that I should probably think about these things before I did them, but it felt natural.

"You're alright, Tara. It's just a dream. It's over now." Her head fell to the right and into my hand that was cupped near her face. Her features slowly relaxed and I wasn't sure I would ever lose the feeling I got knowing that I could pull her from a nightmare. I never questioned if this was normal. I'm not entirely sure that feeling the overwhelming need to make sure Tara was alright each night was an ordinary thing, but I didn't question it. "I'm going away for a few days, but I'll come back. Try not to miss me too much." I brushed my thumb over her cheek before my removing my hand and standing up, walking out of the room and grabbing my bag. I took a final look back at her, making sure she was okay before turning and walking out, the sheet falling behind me.

I lightly jogged towards the staircase door and quietly unlocked it. I slipped into the stairs and closed it behind me, hearing it lock automatically. No turning back now.

I jogged up the stairs, taking the steps two at a time. I walked through the children's section, making sure to avoid stepping on the fallen books. When I reached the door at the end of the library, I pulled my hood up and slowly pushed it open.