Chapter Fifty

The group maneuvered through the streets quietly. It was nearing 6AM, the sun barely rising on the May morning. They walked briskly, following Dimitri's figure and his fast steps, glancing behind every so often to make sure the group was still following.

"How did you make this trip with the younger ones?" Mrs. Wayde asked.

"We went a lot slower, but they were okay for the most part."

"And the baby?" 

"Silent the whole time. He'll make somebody very happy when he's older." He joked. Mrs. Wayde smiled. 

They remained quiet as the walked, nobody talking again for quite a while. The sun was starting to rise, making Harry nervous, but he knew that Dimitri was determined to stay on schedule. The silence was getting to him and he nervously balled his hands into fists and then releasing them, repeating the action a few more times. He walked further back alongside Scarlett who seemed indifferent about the situation.

"You have somewhere to stay when we get back?" He asked, needing to talk.

"Why? You offering to let me shack up?" She asked, raising her eyebrows. Harry scoffed. "Yes, I do. I have an uncle and some cousins who moved over there when I was in middle school. I'm all set. Although I would love to shack up with you."

"Sod off." Harry groaned, although his smile showed he meant no harm by it. 

"You looking forward to getting back to the pop-star life?"

"You're going back to the band?" Lisa asked, having been listening from in front of them. 

"Of course. Why wouldn't I?" He asked.

"Just figured it'd be weird." She replied, shrugging. "Traveling after everything." 

"It will be, but I love what I do. I'll get back to it eventually."

"Good," said Noah, turning around. "My sister is down South and she's a big fan. I expect free tickets."

Harry laughed. 

"You got it." He paused. "Why're you going overseas if you know where your family is? If you don't mind me asking."

"D says that there's bound to be a last resort attack from the other side, like a freak out. Best to get out of here while we can. I'll contact them while I'm over there and work it out." He looked down to his feet. "You ever wonder if there are any others here? I feel like we should've run in to someone else; it can't just be us."

"Eh," Scarlett started. "We mainly stayed in our area. I''m sure if there's anyone else here, they'd stay in their's too."

"Makes sense." Harry noted.

The groups stopped walking as Dimitri turned around.

"Home stretch everyone. Only another half mile. If you squint, you can see the plane. The others are hiding in a store front near here and you'll be joining them. Mr. Andrews has a watch. They'll stop loading at 8:00, you guys will run at 8:15. Hide yourself in the cargo, children in the empty boxes if you have to. As long as you're in the back, you should be find. You can always move around after we've taken off. I'll meet you on the plane with the other group around 8:30 and we'll be in the air by 8:40. Understand?" There were numerous noises of agreement and Dimitri smiled. "Great. Let's keep moving."

As Harry looked around, he realized how... untouched this part of the city looked. There were a few abandoned cars, sure, but none that seemed wrecked or demolished. The sidewalk wasn't overturned or horribly cracked. Windows of stores remained intact and the street was nearly silent.