Chapter Four

Harry

"Tara," I mused. Her steps faltered slightly, probably a result of the dark tunnel and raised tracks. "Nice."

"What?"

"It's a nice name."

She looked up me, a confused look on her face. We had been walking for nearly 10 minutes now.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I don't know many people with that name." She smiled, shaking her head and returning her gaze to the tracks in front of her.

"Are you trying to make small talk with me while we're walking on powerless, grimy subway tracks in the middle of dystopian NYC in attempts to escape a group of eastern-European American-hating human beings?" I muffled my laugh, but she heard it and looked at me out of the corner of her eyes, smiling again.

I cleared my throat. "Uh... yeah, I guess I am."

"Charming."

"What have I missed in the last 3 months? What's been going on?" She stopped walking.

"You've been here for three months?!" She hastily whispered. It would've been a near-shout had we not been trying to be quiet.

"Yes?" It came out as a question.

"Where?"

"A bunker. On a hill just outside the city."

"Alone?"

"God, no. There were eight of us."

"Other people from the city?"

"Now who's asking all the questions?" She glared at me. "I wasn't alone. The lads and I were here promoting the new album when the first attack hit. We, along with a PR rep and two body guards, found a bomb shelter. Actually, found isn't really the word I would use. More like bought."

"You came to the US to boost your sales in the middle of a war? Sorry we weren't able to scavenge enough money to buy your album. And bought? Are you serious? You reserved a shelter that was meant for the people of the city?"

"You think we wanted to come here? We knew the reason. The boys and I protested. Louis even threw a glass of water in Al's face. It's like we're their slaves. And then Al goes and reserves a bomb shelter because he knew what we were doing was dangerous. He's a shitty person and he's fucking selfish. We didn't know he'd done that. Made it seem like we stumbled upon a free one and we were too bugged to think otherwise. Sprung it on us last night that he had bribed someone for it and that was the last straw for me. I hadn't talked to my mum in two months and I hadn't inhaled fresh air for three and I didn't want this life that revolves around money and publicity to make more money. It's fucking disgusting. So don't gang up on me for a decision I had no say in." I hadn't realized my voice had risen until I felt her hand brush my upper arm.

"I'm sorry," she quietly said.

I sighed and cleared my head.

"No, I'm sorry. I'd be upset, too, if I were you. At least we only took up one so people were able to inhabit the others."