39

(A/N The song goes with this chapter really well soooo)

-Ashton

I watch as my confused girlfriend stands between us and her old friend.

My heart is racing and I can feel my palms getting sweaty.

This, here, could change everything.

"Vanessa, think about our future. Think about the baby.... We were gonna have a family. Please, I love you-"

"Don't listen to his bullshit! He kidnapped you! Please, Nessa! We could go home! Everyone misses you! Think about mom and dad! Jared misses you! Everyone at school is even looking for you-!"

"Stop! Just stop!"Vanessa cries of frustration.

We all stay quiet.

I keep my hand extended for her to take.

She runs both her hands through her hair angrily and sighs loudly. "Alison... You're right. I should come home."she says quietly.

My heart cracks at her words and I can feel my jaw drop.

No.

Alison's face lights up and she holds out a hand.

"But I can't."she says.

Alison and I switch faces.

"What?"she hisses.

"I can't! I love him,"she pauses and looks back at me with a small smile. "I'm in love with him, Alison. And he loves me!"she looks back to her clueless friend.

"We're gonna have a family together....and plus he's the only one for me, right?"she says and looks at me for reassurance. I nod and smile. "Yeah, the only one."I say.

Like I said, I can use this to my advantage. It's bad, I know, but I don't want to lose her.

"Vanessa, you're brainwashed."she shouts.

As soon as it comes from her mouth, a pained expression shows on Vanessa's face. Which is great because she has more of a reason to go with me. I know, I'm horrible. But I have to take advantage.

"Pumpkin..."I say softly.

She looks at me with a worried expression.

"Is it true? Am I....brainwashed?"she whispers. I shake my head vigorously. "No, she's lying. I would never.... I love you and you love me, remember?"I say softly. Her eyes flicker with some kind of emotion and she sighs before closing her eyes.

"Ness, please!"Alison cries.

I hold my hand out to Vanessa and softly rub her shoulder.

"Pumpkin....lets go home."I whisper. She visibly releases the tension in her shoulders and collapses in my arms, wrapping hers around my body. I hold her tightly to my body and kiss her head.

Alison runs a hand through her hair.

Ugh. Just imagine what could've happened if Alison got Vanessa to go with her. Can't risk that happening again.

I look at Michael.

"Michael. Take care of Alison."I say. He nods and nudges Calum. Mikey and Cal walk towards the now scared girl when Vanessa looks up at me with horror.

"What? Wait, no!"she says and detaches herself from my arms. "What's wrong, baby?"I ask. "You can't kill her! No! I won't let you!"she says. I sigh. "Princess-"

"She's my best friend! You aren't going to kill her! That's that!"she demands.

I sigh and nod. "Fine. But she better not say anything. To anybody."I growl. She nods and looks at Alison.

"Don't say anything. To anyone. Not the police, not mom, not dad, not Jared, not anybody. Okay? Otherwise, the guys....they'll have to um... kill you."she whispers the last part. Alison nods.

"Okay....will you be okay? With them? How do I know he's not hurting you?"she asks worriedly. "Trust me, Ali. I'll be okay. I'm still alive, aren't I?"she laughs lightly.

"But...your hair? A-and your eyes? And look at what you're wearing?"she asks. "I had to dye it, and these are just contacts. I have to disguise myself in public. Otherwise this is what happens."she says, pointing out the situation.

The girl nods.

"Are you sure you're okay?....he hasn't forced you to do anything? He hasn't hurt you?"she whispers but I still hear.

I feel my fists ball up.

She doesn't need to know all of this. What happens in our relationship stays between us. She has no say in it anyways.

"Ali, I promise you. We're fine."she laughs. "We? What do you mean?"she asks.

"She's pregnant."I blurt out. They both look back at me. Anger shows on her face.

"You impregnated my best friend?! What the fuck!"she screams. People look over at us with confusion.

Damn it.

Vanessa puts her hand over Alison's mouth. "Yes, he did, but it's not like I wasn't okay with it.... I was the one who even brought up having kids-".

"More proof that he has you brainwashed! Can't you see? Why the fuck would you want to have a family with a man who kidnapped you?"she hisses.

I feel anger flow through my veins. My fists feel like they're about to pop off and land on her face.

"Alison, stop. He loves me, okay? He's the only man who will ever love me and you can't say anything to prove that wrong!"she spits out the words with annoyance.

"Vanessa, do you even hear yourself?"she whispers.

"Whatever... I'm going home with Ashton whether you like it or not. Don't say anything to anybody. I'm saying this so you won't get yourself killed because you're my best friend and I care about you. So don't tell anyone you ever saw me. Got it?"she hisses.

Vanessa walks back into my arms and wraps hers around me. I can't help but shoot a winning smirk at Alison.

She scoffs and shakes her head. "You're sick."she mumbles.

I roll my eyes and lean down into Vanessa's ear.

"Let's go home, princess."I whisper. She nods and hops up, wrapping her legs around my waist. I hold her tightly to me with a smile on my face and a sigh of relief falling from my mouth.

We begin walking away when I feel Vanessa press a kiss to my jawline.

"I'm not crazy...am I?"she whispers.

"No, baby. You're not."I say.

I feel a tiny pinch of guilt in my heart but not really.

I have to do what I have to in order to keep Vanessa. Nothing and no one will ever tear us apart.

----------------------------

WHOOPS. 🙃

-JENNA