40. To go: sightseeing

[Just a thing: I've never been to New York, so this won't be completely accurate. Just go with the flow, guys]

"I'm back!", I announced as I closed and opened the door 7 times to later take Tobi's leash off.
Vanessa's head peaked out from the doorway to the kitchen, with a concerned smile on her face as I began to untie & tie my shoes 4 times.
"You saw my note, right?", I asked, starting to worry that they hadn't seen it. "I-I put one on the fridge, and on the floor in front of your door, and the wall, and-"
Vanessa cut me off with a reassuring smile.
"I saw it, don't ya worry, Niñita", she said, as she squatted down to pet Tobi who was jumping up and down from excitement.
"Happy Valentine's Day!", Lin jumped out behind Vanessa, kissing her on the cheek.
I giggled at their cuteness, while collecting my things.
Lin's hair was a mess, and he was still wearing his Mario Cart pyjamas, with a groggy yet excited voice like he'd just gotten out of bed. Which was most likely.
"You too", Vanessa brightly smiled, turning the kiss on the cheek to a kiss on the lips.
Sebastian came running past me with his play recorder, that would let him record stuff he said. Right now it was singing some take on Muffin Man, which was quite adorable.
"Happy Valentine's Day to you too, my little man!", Lin managed to say in the few moments that Sebastian swooshed by, as he actually accomplished to stroke his son's hair.
"Happy! Valentine! Valentine! VALENTINE!Day!", Sebastian started to shout happily, running back to his room with Tobi right behind him.
The little recorder was now shouting "Valentine! VALENTINE! Day!"
I giggled, hanging my coat on a hanger as I walked into the kitchen & took an apple from the counter, to have it after my meds.
But right before, Vanessa seemed to catch me by placing his hands my shoulders, telling me to hold up.
"Wait a little-", she began, smiling at me "Happy Valentine's Day, Niñita", Vanessa finished to say, and a feeling of happiness & appreciation poured through me like in an hour glass, where the sand fell through a little time after time.
The sand hadn't all fallen through, but soon I was there.
Soon everything would make sense.
I turned around, grinning.
"You too", I said warmly. "Happy Valentine's to you too"
Soon, I'd belong here. At least I hoped.
Hopefully they didn't see me skip breakfast.
Because if I didn't the picture of them dead wouldn't leave my mind palace.

"And I'm off again!", I said about an hour later, all from making sure I had everything in my backpack and because of the deadline that Carson had set on me, which I obviously was in time for.
"Huh?", Lin said, just a bit confused.
"Yeah, mine & Carson's sightseeing of New York begins in like five minutes...", I looked at my phone for the time. "Four. And I will not be late", as I was quite stressed from nothing, I was halfway through the doorway when Vanessa asked the next thing.
"You sure you'll be alright?", she knew how excited I'd been for this.
In fact, me & Carson would be the mainstream tourist that visited New York every once in a while. Since I'd been living here the major part of my life, but never went to look at those great things that's every visitor's dream to go see - I was going to show him, the newbie in NYC, around.
I was rather excited.
"Yeah - I mean, it's Carson. I'll be alright. I just wanna go be a tourist. Taking photos of everything", I laughed their question away, avoiding the seriousness in Vanessa's warm tone of concern.
I mean, having someone I knew around me helped. Not that the thoughts wouldn't haunt me.
I think my laughing-away-the-question strategy actually worked.
Lin broke out into a big smile, standing up and running to go get something.
"Take my camera!", he announced, handing a big, & that looked very professional, camera to me. A bit bluntly and surprised, I took it.
"Really?", I asked worriedly, barely holding the camera so carefully in my hands, as it was about to break at any moment.
My arm was finally cast free, since yesterday.
Were we celebrating today? Yes.
"Yeah! I barely use it, and everyone needs to document when sightseeing", he forced the camera onto my hands, to encourage to take it, while giggling, since I'd tried to give it back
"Oh-Okay", I said, hesitating.