19. To see: 2.0

[yay, Rue's seeing the show! so, I decided to write her reactions to a few songs, to the ones that means a lot to her. hopefully that's appreciated💕]

Me and Vanessa sat down in the theatre, me doing every single thing in perfection.
Tap the seat 4 times before sitting down.
I looked around, watching the people chatting in excitement.
"I love the feeling before the show. Everyone's excited and just can't wait. Like you, niñita", Vanessa giggled, gesturing towards my hyped face expression.
I smiled brightly, turning my eyes to the scene as the lights were moderately dimming out, leaving the room to a cosy environment.

The curtains opened, revealing a Leslie walking into the spotlight, telling us the famous opening line that somehow changed my life.
"How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence impoverished, in squalor, grow up to be a hero and a scholar?"
I wanted to focus so badly as my mind easily tricked me into believing what could happen, tap, tap, tap on the glass.
Blink. Don't blink - and you're dead.
How could everyone live like this? How could everybody's mind function? How could they not be afraid of the world?
I forced my mind aside, seeing Lin, standing in the spotlight.
"Alexander Hamilton", he looked around at the audience, all into character; confused & almost scared, but confident. "My name is Alexander Hamilton"
The crowd cheered.
Suddenly I could forget all about what my mind was telling me. I took it aside for this evening.
No matter how many times I've listened to the soundtrack, still, this was new. Even though how many times I've heard them rehearse ifI couldn't miss this.
But, unrecognised by me, my hand tapped against my thigh. In reality, it couldn't stop.
I was just so, so, worried.
About everything.

My Shot always got me so hyped, my heart pounding like I had to run around the room. Which I obviously couldn't do now.
Everyone just did an astonishing job.
Anthony shouting,
"Rise up!", would always make me feel happy. Feel invincible.

Rue, if you don't tap your thigh 72 times Vanessa will die.
And so I did, praying for it to stop. The thoughts, haunting me since forever.
I knew that it wasn't a realistic thought.
But maybe it could happen?

The Schuyler Sisters began, loving the girls' acting as they perfectly made the sisterhood come to life. Shouting about feminism, love and convincing Peggy that their father wouldn't know. Peggy was the worried one. I was most definitely a Peggy.

Jon did a fabulous job at every song of his precious 9 minutes, winking at me as he sang You'll Be Back after finding us in the crowd. We couldn't help but laugh at his odd behaviour with looking around, searching for us, almost breaking character. I blinked my eyes 56 times because of that.
Because of a thought.
Hey, you made him break character. If you don't blink your eyes someone will get harmed. You wouldn't like that, huh?

Helpless would always make me sing along, and as the dancey rhythm started playing I had to remind myself that I actually was in a room full of people.

Leslie absolutely nailed Wait For It making every single human in the crowd feel bad and love Mr Burr.

As Dear Theodosia started I cried. For some reason, the song always made me break down. Ever since the day he  quoted his own musical to call me his own daughter.
Totally emerged by the show, I let my head rest on Vanessa's shoulder. Safe.

The crying sticked around for Tomorrow There'll Be More Of Us, Vanessa joining in too. I felt bad for Anthony who had to die twice every night, sometimes twice a day. I would worry about that.
Tap. 56 times.