32. To travel

[20k. HOW THE FLIP?? actual question: why do you even read this???]

Lin's POV
The next morning, I was awoken by my son, jumping up and down on my stomach as I soon flickered my eyes open, hearing his satisfied giggles. I looked over, and behind stood Rue, leaning against the wall, standing in the doorway, grinning.
"Oof, little man, morning to you too!", I said to Sebastian, which made him jump around even more. "Sure, I'll be your trampoline today", I laughed, which he joined in to. I smiled towards Rue, nodding.
"Mornin', Niñita", I added, placing my eyes on her fingers, tapping against the wall. She immediately stopped, mouthing something I couldn't quite catch.
"Happy Birthday, Lin!", she quietly exclaimed, with a happy tone to it. "Or, should I say Old Man Miranda?", she jokingly requested, her eyes glimmering from excitement. I chuckled, and noticed Seb stepping off of me, soI could finally sit up.
Vanessa, beautiful as ever, joined the morning gathering, picking up Seb as she fidgeted with my tangly hair - kissing me gently.
"We're off to the airport in one hour; you better get going!", she reminded me. I stretched my arms, excitingly smiling.
"You packed-", I began, but Vanessa finished.
"Everything", she winked. "Happy B-day husband, by the way"
I smiled, standing up. A few days off, finally. Much needed.

I glanced over at Rue, as I was practically throwing the cereal into my mouth - a bit stressed. Just me, putting things off until the moment, such as; packing. I watched her taking the pill put of the small box, filling up a glass of water & quickly swallowed it.
She quickly passed me, while putting her hair up in a neat ponytail, smiling at Sebastian who was bringing me a train and three pieces of a track. I accepted his gift, putting it on the floor by his command of building him one. He ran back to his special train box to get more, so I looked up to see Rue flicking the lights seven times, but I still thought;
She took her meds without us telling her to do it.

As we strolled down the halls of the airport, I, carrying Sebastian on my hip, dragging a suitcase behind me.
I placed my eyes on Rue.
"Hey, you look tired today Niñita", I said, just acknowledging the fact.
"I am", the teenager way. "And you two are going to laugh at the reason"
I raised an eyebrow at her, giving Vanessa a special look.
This could mean one thing. One thing, that meant that she'd been up all night with routines.
But laugh?
"It's silly - I've never flown before", she blushed. I grinned. "And I'm positive that I'm scared of heights. So, I thought that if I stayed up all night I'd be knackered on the plane and sleep through the flight..."
Her bubbly self - explaining herself.
I cut her off, a comforting smile on my face.
"You're a too precious someone, Rue", I said at first, but soon another thought fell right into the open.
"Agreed", Vanessa added, but I knew she was about to add the words I'd thought of. "Routines?", she questioned, right before I was about to.
Rue rolled her eyes, the most teenager way possible.
"Normal", she dragged out the first syllable, shrugging her shoulders.
Good. Not too much. V & I, great minds think alike.
"Sometimes I forget you're 14, either you act much younger or like a complete grownup", Vanessa said out of the blue, which made even Rue giggle like there was no tomorrow.
"How old am I now then?", she asked ironically. I gave her a serious look, the unserious way.
"14. Your inner teenager is showing, Niñita"

"Pssst, V - look!", I whispered to my wife, who looked at where I was pointing. Vanessa put a big grin on her face.
Rue, asleep - after an hour of happily looking out of the window. I've never seen a kid so excited by clouds & tiny cars from above. Now, I couldn't wait for Sebastian to be old enough to understand that he was thousands of meters up in the air. He was currently sat on V's lap, holding a red crayon while filling in a paper of Chuggington in the colouring book that we'd bought at the airport. I mean, we couldn't just leave it on that shelf when it's my son's favourite TV show.
I fiddled with my phone, opening up Twitter.