28. To breathe

[11k. awesome. wow]

I looked up at the clock, for the approximately 51st time in the last fourty minutes of English.
Via leant onto my side, whispering so the teacher wouldn't hear.
"I swear, if she starts rambling about her cat's terrible destiny again I will leave", she said, giggling. I was tapping, per usual.
Reorganise your things.
A little teeny sticky note got pressed onto my desk, with Via's scribbly handwriting on it.

Starbucks later? c:

I smiled, whispering the answer.
"Can't, Hammie's Birthday", which I was, remarkably, excited for. She didn't seem to be annoyed or disappointed, just comprahending the fact.

Wooo! c:

From the week of knowing her, it felt like we'd been friends since forever.
It was me and her, against the world. Well, against high school.
It was nice, having a change, a friend, for once.
Finally, the bell rang and I, in my own speed, put my things back in the folder. Via would patiently wait for me, acknowledged every movement I made.
Everything was a blur today, each little bit of this day stressed me out. Too worried about everything.
We chatted, per usual - with breaks that I made. Tap, touch, blink or snap. An endless list of opportunities, just so bad things wouldn't happen. It all made sense, right? Right?

As a matter of fact, I could see Ansel and Warren hurrying towards me, everyone they passed seemed to look away. If not the anxiety I already had was on top - this made me go on edge.
I almost froze in my place, unable to head forward or backwards.

Soon, Ansel was right in front of me, whispering in my ear - making me shiver by fright.
"Ruthleigh. Go back to your corner, and stay there. You've destroyed our family. We can't foster anymore-", Ansel said, Warren clenching his fist in my stomach, making me let out a sigh of pain.
With that, they were done. Numb, quiet, I stood there, watching them swoosh past me.
Via came running towards me, now with her maths folder in her arms.
She furiously stared at them, opening her mouth.
"No, Via, it ain't worth it. They'll hit you too. Then I'd be responsible and-", but she cut me off.
"Okay. But then you'll tell Lin", which she'd met by chance as he picked me up from school two days ago. "Or V"
Did you close your locker seven times?
Rearrange your folder.
Touch every fourth locker.
I took a deep breath, nodding.

The rain was pouring down, my raincoat pulled over my head as the little curls would find their way out - becoming wet.
In my headphones the Glee soundtrack, on a low volume, so the surroundings wouldn't be as scary, was playing, something that Jon probably would love to know. Especially since Bohemian Rhapsody was going wild at the moment. Only in one ear, what was the point of putting a headphone in my left one?
I instantly regretted not taking my umbrella this morning, as the rain got heavier - now mixed with snow.
I counted the road stones on the sidewalk, making sure that I didn't step on any cracks between them.
"Ey! Small one!", Daveed's voice echoed from behind.
I spun around, smiling, as I picked out the in ear headphone.
"Small one?", I questioned.
"Yep. You're small, small one. I'm picking up the cake, wanna join?", he said, taking his arm around me. I giggled. "It feels like I'm back delivering burritos again"
I let out a laugh.
"Burr. Oh well, I'll join", Daveed threw his fist in the air.
"Let's go!"

Later on, Daveed carrying the big cake in his arms, me holding his umbrella over him and the box, we were entering the theatre.
"DO NOT BE ALARMED BUT THE CAKE IS HERE", Daveed shouted as soon as he got to the big room, with massive posters with a 'happy b-day hammie' sign on them. I soon could hear everyone there skipping to the room, some of them half covered in decorations. "AND RUE TOO!", he added, this leading to Lin peaking in his head.
"Where have you been, Niñita?", he quietly, yet strictly, asked.
"I picked the small one as I was getting the cake-", Lin turned to the talking Daveed. Lin raised his left eyebrow, looking at me.
"and I was on my way to here", I added, making sure my backpack was organised the right way, per usual, placing it on a chair.
"I needed help with delivering cake!", Daveed exclaimed while explaining.
Reorganise, Rue. Or someone will die.
"I trust you taking care of my kid, Daveed", Lin said, chuckling. "Text me next time", he added, glancing at me, winking.
I did a thumbs up, still not looking up from the depth of my backpack.
It doesn't feel right. Not yet. Rearrange.
Outside my bubble, the cast was chatting, some giving the massive cake a glance, then hurrying back to decorate or rehearse.
"Rue?", Lin's voice said from behind.
"Mhm?"
Folder, folder, folder. Notebook. Pencilcase. Keys.
"I'll help", he gave in, reaching for my rucksack. He took it out of my hands, who easily let go of the many folders, looked through it and placed it on the ground, next to the chair.
He's looked through it, everything's there. Just one more time, just to make sure. You wouldn't want to see him dead, right?
"Just, just one more time", I said, almost like I was asking for permission. I quickly let my hands run through the things, making sure that it felt perfect. As I walked away from the backpack, I gave Lin a little smile. He gave me a hopeful one, an almost sad one.
I still hadn't taken my medicine.
But they didn't know that. They didn't have to know that.
Because, I don't need it. You're perfectly well.
But, lying straight to their faces?
Maybe I needed it.
Maybe I am sick.
You're not.
"So what can I help with?"