Chapter 13

After some time, we came to stop at a meadow. It was beautiful and just perfect. "I know it's not a party or a fancy restaurant, but..." Jake said. "No, I love it." I said with a huge smile. "Really?" he said shocked. "Yes, I love it ." I said again, while sitting down facing the edge of the cliff. Jake sat down with me and pulled out a basket behind the tree we were next too. I smiled at him and watched as he pulled out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches out and  bottles of lemonade. "My favorites." I said while grabbing one. He laughed and grabbed the other and we began devouring them. For the rest of the day, we talked and laughed and I felt like we met a long time ago and we were just old friends. I couldn't believe that he was into the same music and books that I was into. The more we talked, the more I liked him.
As we were getting ready to leave, it started to drizzle. I looked up at the sky and asked myself why me? Jake laughed and asked, "What you don't like the rain?" I shook my head and said, "Yeah, but I'm going to get wet. What if my parents yell?" I said thinking of what they might say with my outfit. "It's okay, you can't be afraid of the man forever, you need to take initiative." he said putting his hand into a fist. I agreed with him and decided to do it his way, which gave me a good feeling inside.  We headed out back to my house and as we walked, we didn't talk much. It was more like we were enjoying each other's company. The rain seemed to stop by the time we were in front of my house. I looked at Jake, who couldn't stop looking at the house. I suddenly felt ashamed because I knew that it would be too much to handle. After a while, Jake looked at me and smiled, "It's okay." he said. I shooked my head and asked, "Why do you say that?" "Because I know it's hard for you to accept this when you don't want to." he replied softly. I didn't say anything, I couldn't, I didn't know what to say. I've never in my whole entire life have heard someone say what Jake said to me ever. No one has ever told me that it's okay not to be rich. "Mels, can I ask you something?" Jake asked. "Anything." I said breaking away from my thoughts. "Why were you staring at me that day during lunch?" he said giving me a shock. How did he know? He waited patiently for my answer. I decided to go with the truth. "Because I knew you were different." I said softly. He came closer to me and leaned in his face. It was so close that I could feel his hot breath on mine and his forehead pressed against mine, giving a burning sensation like fire running throughout my body. For second, I didn't believe that he was going to kiss me, that he was going to walk away and leave me hanging, but he didn't, he just leaned in closer until we connected and he kissed me. When we broke away and I looked up at him, I saw that he was smiling and said, "See you tomorrow." and walked away.