Chapter 9

They seemed to be high because of the weed I could smell off of them and they were laughing too much. I tried to ignore them as I gathered my things to go. As I was leaving, someone sat down across from me. "Hey" they said. It was Jake. I tried to ignore him by getting up, but his hand touched mine. It was warm and soft, not like before. I didn't look at him, but he was looking at me. Without turning my face, I asked, "Can you let go of me?" He didn't and said, "I'm sorry for the other day." I shook my head and this time I looked at him with anger, "I don't believe you." This time he held my hand in his and said, "I'm seriously sorry, I didn't realize how different you were after you walked away." My face softened as I looked down to see his hand in mine but, I quickly let go of his hand and decided to stay. "I believe you." I muttered. He smiled and said, "That's great." I smiled to and asked, "So what are you doing here?" He looked over to see that his friends who were no longer there. He turned back and said, "I was suppose to go to this party with my friends, but I don't know. I think they left me." I never seen Jake as the party type of boy, he seemed more of a loner, liking to be by himself. "I didn't know you were into parties?" I said. He looked down at the table, "Everyone is into parties, even you." I looked at him with a face and thought about the parties that I was forced to go to with Lexi. I used to hate dressing up and having to pretend that I'm having a good time, while trying not to look like I'm not drinking the beer that Dave usually forces into my hands. "I don't think so." I responded. He chuckled and said, "Well maybe I'll have to show you how to party the right way." The idea of going to a party with him crossed my mind and for some reason it didn't seem so bad. "So can I ask what you're doing here by yourself?" he asked cutting me off from my thoughts. "Oh, um I was just doing some reading." I said, flustering with my hands.. "Shouldn't you be somewhere with your rich friends." he said leaning back on the chair. "They're out shopping and they are not what you think." I said a bit defensive. "I didn't mean it that way, but are you trying to tell me that you don't like shopping?" he asked a bit surprised. I nodded and looked out the window to see that the sun was setting. "I never thought there would be a day where a rich girl says she doesn't like shopping." Jake said even more surprised from before. "Ha ha very funny." I said feeling embarrassed. "No, no I like it." he said sincerely. I smiled at him and he smiled back. Soon my phone rang and saw that it was my mom. I rolled my eyes and picked it up, "Hey mom." I said. "Melissa Peg, where are you?" she asked a bit worried. "Don't worry, I'm fine. I'll be home in 30." I said reassuring her. "Well, get here soon." she said hanging up. "Who was that?" Jake asked. "It's my mom, she wants me home." I said, getting up to go leave. Jake got up with me and said, "Would you like me to take you home?" I wanted to say yes and talk to him some more, but the thought of him seeing that my house is a mansion sounded terrifying, since we just started talking back to each other. "Um, no it's fine. I can manage." I said feeling horrible. Jake seemed a bit disappointed but quickly asked, "How about I pick you up here on saturday and we can hang out?" For some reason, I wished it wasn't Thursday. "Yeah sure, I like that." I said. He smiled back and I said goodbye leaving the diner and into the night.