Chapter Twelve

Jake was already at the diner when I got there. He was wearing dark, distressed jeans with a familiar band tee, that I couldn't recall. He wore vans and an oversized black coat that seemed to make him more fitted than usual. He smiled when he saw me walk through the door. I smiled back and walked up to him. "Hey," he said. "Hey," I said back. We looked at each other in silence. I broke it by asking him what band tee he was wearing. "Oh, it's um..Radiohead." "I love it," I exclaimed. "I'm living for your Nirvana one too." He said pointing at the band symbol. "Thanks. It's funny, none of my friends aren't into rock as much as I am." I said thinking about the pop they would play in the car. "I know, I think it's just this town," he said. "I've been noticing that too," I said with a nod. He chuckled at something making me feel nervous again. "What's wrong?" I asked a bit worried. "Nothing, it's just, it's just..." he wandered off. "It's just what?" I asked, wanting him to spit it out. Jake paused and looked up at me, he said with a bit of a smile, "It's just that, in my whole lifetime, I never would have thought that a girl like you would be so cool and listen to rock." I laughed and said, "Well, I'm honored." We laughed some more and started our way to wherever Jake was taking me. I guess you can say that Jake and I lived in a small town in Pennsylvania. The city was about 20 minutes away and if you knew the right path, you can find how beautiful the town really is. What made the town the way it is, is the trees. They were tall, simple, healthy, and majestic. When I was younger, I used to love to climb on the trees and feel the wind on my face. I wondered where Jake was from, knowing where a person comes from say a lot about them.