Chapter 43: Their Daughter

Elliot's POV

"Hi baby." I whispered, as I gently reached my hand into the islet that Briar laid in. The bed rest didn't stop Liv from going into early labor, and Briar ended up being born 6 weeks early.

I gently ran my hand over her thin mess of brown hair, and I frowned. She was so small. So weak. So vulnerable.

"Mr. Stabler, did you come up with a name for your daughter?" A nurse asked, and I smiled.

"We've had a name for awhile, actually." I chuckled.

"Alright, well what are you gonna call this little girl?"

"Briar Elizabeth Stabler." I replied.

"Cute name." She smiled, and I nodded.

"We thought so." I smiled.

"Now, Mr. Stabler, we will take great care of your daughter." She spoke, and I bit my lip.

"You want me to go?" I asked, and she gave me a gentle smile.

"Go check on your wife. We need to run some tests on your daughter."

"Alright. I love you, Briar." I smiled, before getting up and leaving.

<^>

Liv was sleeping when I got into her room, her arm draped lightly over her bandaged stomach. I walked over and sat next to her bed, and gently touched her hand. She let out a snore before waking herself up.

"El?" She whispered.

"Hey, baby." I smiled, and she looked me over.

"Why aren't you with Briar?" She questioned.

"They are running tests on her and sent me back here." I replied.

"Is she doing okay?"

"Baby, she's a fighter." I spoke, and she started to cry.

I gently grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

"Baby, please don't cry." I plead.

"I didn't do enough! I was supposed to protect her!" Liv cried, and I shook my head.

"You did nothing wrong. You did everything right. Stuff like this just happens."

"I was on bed rest for a reason. She was supposed to stay put until her due date, El!" She spat, and I frowned.

"Liv, get some sleep. I'm going to call the kids and check up on them." I spoke. I kissed the top of her head before moving out of the room.

<^>

"Dad!" Becka spoke, as she answered the phone.

"Hey, Becks. How are you?" I asked.

"We are good. How is Liv? Briar?" 

"They are both okay. Briar is gonna be here for awhile, and so is Liv."

"Are they going to live?"

"Mhmm."

"Dad, are you sure?" Becka breathed.

"Don't worry, Becks. Is Maureen there?"

"Yeah." Becka said, before handing the phone over to her sister.

I sat down and leaned my head against the wall.

"So, Becks thinks you are lying to her about the health of Liv and Briar." Maureen spoke, and I groaned.

"Hello to you too, Maureen."

"Dad, Liv was in a lot of pain when you and her left. How are they?" She spoke, and I frowned.

"She had to have a c-section. Briar almost didn't make it, and Liv was bleeding pretty bad." I frowned deeply.

"Do you want me to come up?"

"No. Alex and Amanda are on their way up." I sighed.

"Alright, just take care of them. I love you Dad. If you need anything, just tell me. I'll do anything for you all."

<^>

Olivia's POV

The pain had been so bad, and there had been so much blood. It scared me to death. I thought I was going to lose Briar again, but with the help of the doctors, they saved us both.

Elliot and I were fighting, I think. He didn't like how I was blaming myself for everything that has happened to Briar. But how couldn't I? I'm the one who was pregnant with her. I was the one who was supposed to make sure she was safe. I didn't do my job, and now my daughter was sick and so damn small.

Her chance of survival almost as small as she was.

"Hey." Alex breathed, and I looked at my friend as she stood in the door way.

"Alex? What are you doing here?"

"We came when Elliot called us. We wanted to check on you." Amanda spoke, as she came in behind Alex.

"I hate you two." I sighed, and they smiled.

"Why is that?"

"Because now I want to cry again. I couldn't ask for better friends." I breathed, and Alex came over and gave me a gentle hug.

"No problem." She smiled.

"So, where is El?" I asked.

"He went to get something to eat. He looks exhausted." Amanda replied.

"He should just go home and get some sleep. I'm not going anywhere, Briar isn't either." I replied.

"He just wants to be near his girls."

"Yeah, well he has plenty of daughters and two ex wives he can hang out with." I replied slowly.

They looked at me and frowned.

"Are you kidding me, Liv?" Amanda asked, and I frowned.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Why do you always try to build up walls? Elliot is all yours. He loves you, Briar, and all of his children, no matter who their mothers are. But he will never love anyone else like he loves you." Alex spoke, and I frowned deeper.

"I build up walls because I don't like getting hurt, but I always end up getting hurt anyway. I don't want to get close to Elliot because I'm scared that Briar is going to be taken away from us, or he is going to stray because I'm not there for him 24/7."

"He won't stray, Liv!"

"HE CHEATED ON KATHY AND DANI! HOW AM I ANY DIFFERENT?!" I cried, and they watched me with sad eyes.

"I've told you a million times that you are so much better than them. Why can't you trust me?" Elliot whimpered, and I bit my lip as he turned and left.

Alex and Amanda sighed as tears ran down my cheeks.

Once again I screwed up and hurt my husband. Now that Briar is in the picture, I need him more than ever, but I'm scared that when I need him, he won't want to be here anymore. He'll want to be with someone who isn't crazy.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D