Chapter 19: The Dinner

Olivia's POV

I was freaking out as I got dinner ready for tonight. Mark was grilling steak, and Alex and I were inside working on the side dishes. When someone knocked on the front door, I sat the stuff I was working on down, and carried Cassidy to the door.

Once I opened it, I saw Elliot and Becka standing there. I smiled, and Cassidy snuggled closer to me. 

"Hey guys." I smiled, and Elliot beamed.

"Hey, Liv. How are you?" Elliot asked, as I let them inside.

"I'm okay. Becka, you've gotten so big." I smile, and she looked at me awkwardly.

"Mom, Katie scraped her knee." Noah spoke, as he came into the hallway. I frowned, and looked at them.

"Alex is in the kitchen. I'm going to take care of my daughter, and then I'll be back." I spoke. I carried Cassidy into the living room, and sat her down in her play pen, before following Noah into the backyard.

Mark was holding Katie as she cried. 

"She fell on the dock and hurt her knee." He frowned, and as soon as I got close, Katie stretched her arms out to me.

"I'll fix you up, sweetie. Thanks Mark." I spoke, and he nodded, before smiling.

I took Katie inside and cleaned up her knee before put on a rainbow bandage. She sniffled and looked at me.

"Kiss it to make it better?" She asked, and I smiled. I kissed her knee then kissed her forehead.

"Feeling better, Katie?" I asked, and she nodded.

"Good. Now, don't play on the dock, alright? I don't want you getting hurt again. Play in the sand with your brothers and Luke." I spoke, before sitting her down on the ground. She held my hand as we walked down the hall, and then she stopped as we passed the kitchen.

"Who is that?" She asked, as she looked at Elliot and Becka who were talking to Alex.

"He is Elliot, and that is his daughter Becka. They are friends of mine." I smiled, and she nodded slowly, before running back outside, and I sighed.

"Is she okay?" Alex asked, and I nodded.

"Perfect." I smiled, before walking over and continuing to help.

"So, four kids?" Elliot asked, and I nodded.

"Yup. You already know Noah and Finn, but then Brian and I had Katie and Cassidy together." I spoke, my voice cracking as I said my late husband's name.

"Where is Brian?" He questioned, as he took a drink from his beer, and I took a shaky breath. Alex spoke for me.

"Brian was shot to death when he was working last year." She breathed, and tears welled in my eyes.

"I'm going to check on Cass. Excuse me." I whispered, before quickly leaving again.

<^>

Elliot's POV

I found Liv out in the living room, sitting next to the play pen as her year old played, and stood and handed Liv a bunch of toys.

"Olivia?" I questioned, and she quickly wiped her eyes before turning to look at me.

"Hey." She breathed, and I walked over and sat down next to her.

"I'm sorry about Brian, I had no idea." I spoke, and she wiped at her eyes again before nodding.

"It's fine. Just still hard to deal with. I was married to him for four years." She sighed, before gently touching Cassidy's brown curls.

"Did he ever get to meet her?" I asked, as I watched the beautiful little girl smile at Olivia.