My First Day

Room 275
15th FSB Barracks
Fort Hood, Texas
CONUS
Saturday
21 December, 1991
0930

The room felt warm as I sat in the chair, fully dressed in flannel, T-shirt, and jeans. Steward was sprawled out under the blanket, snoring lightly. There was a new guy from Alpha, a big black guy, who was smoking menthols and staring out the window for the most part.

The knock on the door startled me. The Alpha Guy went over and opened the door. Captain Jane and SGT Danville came in. I smiled and gave them a little wave.

"How are you feeling this morning, Chief?" Captain Jane asked me.

"A little off balance," I told her. "The last few days, since the Navy picked us up, has been a little confused in my brain."

She nodded. "You were very, um, aggressive yesterday, Chief," She said, flushing slightly.

I frowned, turning slightly in my chair to look at Steward.

"Boyfriend?" Danville asked.

I shrugged. "I guess. Hope so."

Sergeant Danville dragged the extra chair in my room over to sit in front of me. Alpha Guy took the hint that Captain Jane was giving him and went out to stand outside my door.

"How about we have a talk, Heather," he said, unfolding a notebook.

"Umm, today is Saturday," I said.

He shrugged. "Army pays me to work, not sit in my barracks room reading," He smiled. I glanced at Captain Jane and he nodded. "Don't worry, she has to be here while you are under observation. The PRP Rep cleared her for this part."

I just nodded. "Do I need to wake up Chuck, ask him to leave?" For some reason the thought made me anxious.

Harvey Danville looked at Chuck Steward, who was face down asleep. He shook his head. "No, Heather, he can stay if it makes you feel better," he told me.

"Thank you, Harvey," I said. I looked down and saw that I was wringing my hands. I willed myself to stop it.

...I AM THE WINTER QUEEN!...

I looked up, "What happened to Peel? How is she?" I asked.

"She's in her room, under observation," Captain Jane told me. "We managed to sedate her, she's resting comfortably."

"Just, don't hurt her, she had a rough time," I said, looking down. "She's a good girl. She rose to the challenge and Momma's proud of her," I looked up, aware I had tears running down her face. "It isn't her fault, what all of that found inside of her, what it all brought out in all of them, it's mine, I couldn't protect them."

"Heather," Harvey said, shaking his head, "You did everything you should have. You trained them, they survived all of it."

"Still," I protested.

"No, Heather," Harvey told me. "Have you been taking your medication?"

I shook my head. "Not since Halloween."

"Chief," Captain Jane said, her voice disapproving. Harvey held up his hand and the Captain went silent.

"Heather," Harvey said, his voice was slightly disappointed. "Have you been taking any of your meds?"

"Only the Field Warfare pack," I told him, shrugging. "Sticky Bromide and the rest. Made all of Actual take it with me," I knew I sounded childishly stubborn. "It saved their lives when the enemy hit us with lewisite."

He nodded. "All right, Heather, it's time to take your garrison meds again," he said gently.

"Don't wanna," I said, pouting. "They make me feel thick. My body feels heavy and slow. I can't think and everything feels muted."