Chapter 25: Joan is hurt

She tried to get herself up but it was no use at all. No use at all. Joan called out, "Help! Help! HELP!" Her eyes brightened when she saw someone running forwards towards her. The figure towered over her and they had a laughing smile. A cruel smile. She shook her head in disbelief and the figure's face was distorted. 'What's wrong with me?' Joan shook her head again, this time the figure was not there. She reached out her hand to where it had been but she felt nothing there. "Oww!" Her arm was completely red and swollen. 

"Nurse, is Elizabeth OK?" Arabella asked.

"Much better, much better!" a friendly nurse smiled, "She might even be able to come back to school before your holidays start!"

"Golly, yes! They are only three weeks away! It's all gone so quickly this term! When you're not enjoying the school it goes ever so slowly. It was fun, though, this time around."

"Julian is ever so much better. In fact, he is going back later this week!"

"They're friends again - right? I mean Ju and Liz?"

"I believe so. Anyway, Miss Joan, I must continue."

"Of course." She walked away. She went into Julian's room. "Hey, Ju. Nurse says you're going home laters."

"Yeah... Arabella, I've been trying to make sense of this. What is it?"

"Ah... Well, basically, Elizabeth pushed you to the edge of the road to protect you from the truck. She was run over by the truck..." she continued to speak about the incident.

"No, no, I meant what's this?"

"Oh... that's a plaster cast."