Chapter 20: Arabella and Joan switch places??

"Why are you so upset with Elizabeth? She is... well... dead!"

"I seriously don't care. She almost killed Julian - now that's mean."

"I can't bear to see you acting as... well... I did! You are getting all the facts wrong, Joan. Elizabeth saw Julian lying in the road. He was injured. She saw a truck coming towards him and pushed him out of the road. She sacrificed herself for him!"

"Arabella - no, you are wrong. WE have NOT switched places! You are just being so... selfish ... and... and ELIZABETH too! You are LYING! You are being as you always are - WRONG! JUST GET OUT NOW, OR... OR SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN!" Arabella ran into the hospital, to see if there had been any more news of her best friend.

"Well, we think that... she is critically ill. We have got our best doctor with us, Dr Holland."

"Dr Holland?"

"Yes. He's actually the father of that other boy."

"Yes, yes I know...... hmm, Dr Everson, do you think that he knows how the accident happened? That Elizabeth dived to save him?"

"Well, I don't know. He certainly is more interested in his son than Elizabeth. But, we have forced him to work on her, as she may die."

"She is... she is alive right now?" Arabella asked fearfully.

"Yes. She is, at the moment."

"OK, that's good."

"But, Arabella..."

"Yes?"

"Joan Townsend. She is not too friendly towards Elizabeth Allen. How come?" the doctor asked. 

Arabella sighed. She had dreaded anyone finding out the whole story. Tears shone in her eyes. "Elizabeth's mother invited me to stay with her. We weren't friends then. I tipped a glass over her, and it badly injured her. She had cuts all the way down her face. I accidentally let it slip when we went back to Whyteleafe. We became friends... and then this happened," she said, just ignoring a few bits she did not want to say.

"I see."