CHAPTER 14: The Said Secret and The Broken Promise

Chapter Fourteen

The Said Secret and The Broken Promise

Step 2: Prepare The Bait

You are only here to sing and nothing else.

Nicky's throat felt parched, and his chest was a complete riot. He was trapped in Shane's eyes, those hazel green eyes that were like a sandpit that swallows you whole, Nicky was caught in it again. And he can't look away, God he can't look away.

You are only here to sing and nothing else.

That was what his mind was saying, but his heart had an agenda of its own. It was exploding, urging for him to move forward.

"I am only here to sing and nothing else." Nicky thought out loud. He needed to, to reinforce what his mind was saying that's clearly been being deliberately ignored by his unruly heart. Nicky saw Shane's eyebrows rose from confusion caused by Nicky's words, but he didn't try to explain. He found the strength to step a foot out of the sandpit, so he took the chance and turned his back on Shane. Then he mentally cursed himself for feeling that way. How can he? After all that happened? Was he just a pure masochist that he'll go through all that pain once again just because he can't look away from those eyes?

Nicky don't hear anything from behind and he was quite sure Shane hasn't move a muscle. For some reason he was frozen on his feet. And Nicky would hate to think the younger lad was staring at him right now. And he'd hate to confirm it.

"Nicky, you okay?"

Nicky immediately turned with the urgency of the voice and found Brian by the door, his hands on the door frame and was panting madly. His eyes was darting to both Nicky and Shane, clearly expecting something bad had already happened. Nicky noticed Shane flinched a bit with Brian's question.

"I'm okay, Bri." Nicky said.

"Bri..." Shane started, but Brian seemed to ignore that Shane was in the room and approached Nicky immediately.

"You haven't even started unpacking yet. Here, I'll help you up." Brian said. He lifted Nicky's bag from the floor and put in on the bed. Then he opened it himself and started ransacking Nicky's stuff. Shane watched as both Brian and Nicky rummaged on his bag shoulder-to-shoulder. Nicky shoved Brian away as the younger blonde found Nicky's toothbrush and tried to put it into his own mouth. Then Brian laughed boisterously as he found where Nicky's boxers were and started waving it in the air. Nicky finally snapped and went to attack Brian aggressively as he cussed on him and demanded to have his underwear back.

Shane stared at the two with a sense of nostalgia hitting him with fatal blow. A sad smile painted in his lips. And subconsciously, his mind thought of the word and his mouth uttered them: "Temper, Byrne."

This time, it was Shane's turn to look away. Feeling that he was not needed inside anymore, he left the room with his head hung low. He crossed path with Kian on his way out, and Mark was running behind him.

"Have you seen Brian?" Kian asked him.

"Yeah. Inside." Shane answered.

Kian poked his head inside and found Brian making a mess out of Nicky's luggage. "Look at this kid, he's not even started unpacking yet, and here he is stirring up trouble with someone else's stuff. Oi!" Kian called, going inside the room as well. Shane made one final look, and left. Mark watched his friend as he marched downstairs and disappeared in the kitchen.