CHAPTER 5: The Blurry Send-off Party

Chapter Five

The Blurry Send-off Party

"No later than midnight."

"Aye, sir."

"No overspeeding in the road"

"Got it."

"And definitely no alcohol." Nicky's mom added.

"Ermm, we'll work on that"

"Nicholas Bernard James Adam Byrne Jr!"

"Okay!" Nicky huffed, but his dad patted his shoulder and winked knowingly at him. Nicky got the sign of approval and grinned widely.

"Oh for Christ's sake, Nicholas Sr, stop tolerating your son." Her mother threw her hand dramatically in the air as she eyed the duo.

"It's gonna be fine, hon." Nicky Sr. assured her. "But, take care of her, alright? I trust you son." Nicky's father said as he handed him the keys of their truck.

"I will, dad. Thanks." Nicky said, giving his father one quick hug and kissed his mother's forehead. He raced towards the garage and opened it, seeing his friends waiting beside the truck.

"This night's gonna be sick!" Brian cheered excitedly as he climbed the back of the truck. The rest followed after Brian, save for Shane who was eyeing the shotgun seat.

"Go on and take the front seat, Filan! Stop standing there like a statue." Kian yelled from behind the truck. The rest laugh and so did Nicky. Shane shook his head grinning as he climbed and took the shotgun seat. Nicky started the truck and exited the driveway. Nicky's folks were still outside, waving to them good bye as they go. Nicky can hear Brian and Kian yelling at the back of the truck. "Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Byrne!", "Byeee!", "We loove you!" Nicky chuckled and pounded on the jeep's roof to shut them up.

"Your folks are cool." Shane said.

"Neeh, most of the time." Nicky said in response, eyes not looking at Shane's as he focused on the road. "If you haven't noticed I always take the cab. Dad never let me use it unless it's a special occasion.

"So this is a special occasion?" Shane asked him. Nicky shrugged and smiled at Shane.

"Hey Nix, stop by that store will you? I'm gonna fetch something" Brian said, his head poking at the top of Nicky's window as he hung dangerously on the side of the truck.

"The hell, Bri. Get back there before you kill yourself." Nicky scolded. But Brian just snorted and laughed, returning completely to the back of the truck. "This guy, really." Nicky said, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Temper, Byrne." Shane said again. Nicky rolled his eyes and swerved on the road, taking a stop at the store Brian pointed. The moment the car halted, Brian jumped off the vehicle and bolted for the store. Not ten minutes after and he was out, with a huge chest cooler in tow. The others scrambled down the vehicle as they approached Brian and helped him with the box.

"Bri, these're a hell lotta beer?" Mark said, eyeing worriedly on the ice box. Brian winked at him and chuckled.

'I told ya, it's gonna be a sick night"

* * * * *

The cold air of the night greeted them as the sun disappeared. There were lots of people still on the road, and the whole of Dublin never felt more alive. The night sky was filled with stars, matching the bright light of the city.