CHAPTER 3: Best Friends

Chapter Three

BEST FRIENDS

     Nicky was not sure how long he's been standing in front of the hotel. He received a text from Kian yesterday inviting them to hangout but Nicky can't make it so he has to re-schedule now. Brian was with them yesterday so he was not sure if he can come today too. Though he said he'll try. Brian even texted Nicky that Shane was upset that he was not there yesterday, which kept bugging Nicky's mind until morning. Now he's debating whether to go in or not, afraid that he'll have to have a very good excuse in front of Shane for not showing up yesterday.

     "Are you just gonna stand there or are you gonna go inside?" asked someone from behind Nicky, startling him to death.

      "Jesus Shane Filan! You do not scare me like that!" he yelled madly.

      "Oh, sorry." Shane chuckled. "Well I've been watching you and you're not moving from that spot so..."

     "How long?"

     "What?" Shane asked, baffled.

     "How long have you been watching?" Nicky asked, not looking at Shane.

     "Five minutes?" Shane said, not even sure why Nicky was asking. "So, why were you just standing there?" he asked back.

     "I'm waiting for Brian." he made excuse, although as far as he can remember, Brian told him he might not come.

     "You can wait for him inside, you know." Shane rebutted. "Come on, let's go to our room."

     Nicky fidgeted with the thought, but agreed anyway. "You know I'm gonna get back on you for that right? I never forget an offense." Nicky warned Shane.

   "Is that a threat, Byrne?" Shane grinned at Nicky.

     "Just a friendly reminder, Filan." Nicky smirked.

     "I'll look forward to it then." Shane said. Nicky's smirk faded. What is wrong with this bloke? He thought. Who would look forward to a threat?

     Nicky cleared his throat. "What floor are you staying again?"

     "8th" Shane answered.

     "So we really need to take the elevator, huh?" Nicky asked, more to himself than to Shane. Shane studied him, picking up something from Nicky's question.

     "Would you rather..."

     "It's here." Nicky said before Shane could finish, referring to the elevator as its door slide open. "Let's go."

     Nicky was not sure what's gotten into him. He's afraid of lifts. Terrified, even. But the way he stepped into the box first, he knows he's being crazy. But somehow, showing Shane his weakness seemed scarier. Shane followed him inside, eyeing him with concern.

     "Oookay." Nicky said nervously. He pushed on the button 8 and the box rode up, the sound of the whirring motors reverberating inside the metal box.

     "Jesus, this lift sounds really old." Nicky chuckled nervously.

     "Yeah, seems like it." Shane answered.

     The box rode up: 3,4,5, then the elevator shook a bit, the sound of grinding and clanging metal piercing Nicky's ears.

     "Crikey!" Nicky yelled, instinctively gripping on Shane's arm really tight. "Does this elevator do this all the time?"