Chapter 33: Swan Song

En başından başla

The walkie talkie poofed out of Lapis's hand. Swiveling around on her feet, Lapis saw Peridot standing behind her, communication device in hand.

"Sorry. That one's my fault. I had set up precautions if Ruby's consciousness tried to give you a sign. I just hadn't calculated for such a direct one." She tossed the walkie talkie down the stairs, out of sight.

"You aren't Peridot."

"Of course I am." Peridot looked hurt. "I'm...a memory of her."

Lapis shook her head. "You aren't real. You're just trying to distract me." Lapis ran downstairs, to the kitchen and grabbed a knife.

"You wouldn't really use that on me would you?" Peridot asked. "I know we've had our fair share of fights before but-"

"Stop. Talking." Lapis's voice quivered. "Stop talking like you're her."

Peridot sighed sadly, as if she genuinely felt pain that Lapis couldn't fully grasp the situation. "I told you, I am Peridot. I'm the Peridot that you keep in your mind. The one you hold in your memories. It's all very technical but I promise that I don't mean to hurt you."

"But you don't want me to find Ruby. You don't want me to stop Red. That's why you're here." Lapis couldn't stop her hands from shaking. She didn't want to hurt any version of Peridot but she would if it came down to it.

"Would that be so bad?" Peridot smiled at Lapis in that way that made her melt.

With a wave of her hand, Lapis's surroundings changed. The wood under her feet turned to grass. The temple became the front yard of the barn. In her hand, the knife had disappeared into smoke.

"Reality can be anything we want here." Peridot motioned to the rolling hills, the view of the beach, the sun setting on the barn. "You don't have to find Ruby. You don't have to leave. Your world, it's dangerous. I won't stop you from continuing on your journey but I can offer you a way out. A way to change your fate. Going back will only end badly for you but in here-" Peridot snapped her fingers and suddenly they were inside the barn, twinkling lights above them, music playing in the distance. Peridot was wearing a suit and her makeshift limb enhancers; Lapis herself was in a regal gown. "In here, we can be...together."

Unconsciously, Lapis felt her hand reach toward Peridot's. Everything felt so natural, like a dream to her. A dream that had been locked away in her subconscious.

But something about it. The music. It was off key. There was something wrong.

"No," Lapis shook her head. "It wouldn't be real."

Peridot nodded sadly, as if she expected this answer. With another snap of her fingers, Lapis and Peridot were back on the beach, looking out to the water.

"You're confident that you can distinguish between reality and dreams. You should cherish that notion while you can. One day you'll come to realize what Ruby did: Reality lies. I hope the truth treats you well." Peridot turned away leaving Lapis with more questions than she could wrap her head around.

"If you want to find Ruby, go to the place she first lost herself." Peridot called out without looking back. A hazy mist was falling onto the beach, shrouding Peridot's figure.

"Wait! Come back!" Lapis chased after her. "I don't know where that is!"

"Of course you do," Peridot's voice floated in the air, detached from her fading body. "You just need to remember."