Chapter Twenty-One: Role of a Lifetime

A/N: I love this song.

Evan threw open the door of his mom's car, tears streaming down his face.

Connor didn't like him anymore.

Maybe Connor never actually liked him.

He sat down and slammed the door.

"Are you okay, honey?" His mom asked.

Evan rubbed his eyes. "Y-yeah, I'm fine."

Heidi switched off the engine. "No, you're not, and we're not leaving until you tell me what happened."

Suddenly, Evan was sobbing.

Heidi opened her arms and gave him an awkward side hug, but it was still a loving hug.

"What happened, honey? Was it James? Did you finally realise that he's a dick?"

Evan shook his head. "N-no," he said through sobs. "It w-wasn't James. It was C-Connor." He started sobbing harder as he put his head on Heidi's shoulder.

Heidi stroked his head. "Hey, hey, it's okay. It's all okay. What did he do?" Heidi gasped. "Did he break up with you?"

Evan shook his head. "No. I-I saw him w-with I-I-Isabel."

"Your friend from the competition?" She asked.

Evan nodded.

"Honey, maybe they were just there as frie-"

"They were kissing on a park bench."

"That sick little bitch."

Evan laughed a bit.

"Don't worry, honey. He doesn't deserve you, anyway."

Evan smiled a little, enjoying his mother's company.

***

All week, Evan had somehow managed to avoid Connor.

Connor had tried to call him multiple times, but he ignored every single one. He also sat with Alana, Jared and Zoe at lunch and made sure to leave no room for Connor.

So there he was, backstage at a school he had never heard of, freaking out about the competition.

Connor had helped him through the other rounds, but now that he knew Connor was a dickhead, what was he going to do?

Evan sighed, leaning against the wall.

There were four other singers there for the competition. Isaac, Tiana, Jacqueline and Jordan.

They all looked serious and competive, and then there was Evan, leaning up against a wall, just about in tears.

He put his hand in his pocket and fumbled around with the USB.

The USB.

Evan was supposed to give it to the people in charge of the music and backing tracks, hoping he could change his song.

He was supposed to sing Night Will Come from Groundhog Day, but after the recent events with Connor, he had a better song.

Something more personal and meaningful.

Sure, it said someone's name at one point (it was from a musical, of course), but he could just cut it out.

He walked around a corner up to some people in front of computers.

"E-excuse me?" Evan asked. "D-do you think I'd b-be able to change m-my song?"

One of them nodded. "What's your name?" He asked.