Chapter Two: No Longer Alone

Dear Evan Hansen,

Today is going to be a good day and here's why: Connor's coming over! You're going to get to know him and try not to make a fool out of yourself. Just... Try not to scare off your first and only friend. Be yourself. That'll be enough. But... Be confident, too. That's important.

Sincerely, your best and most dearest friend,

Me.

Evan sighed and threw his pencil down. This letter thing was stupid. Every day, he had to write a letter to himself for his therapist to try and be more 'optimistic' and 'confident'. It wasn't helping.

But Evan was feeling happy that Connor was coming over so that they could get to know each other!

Evan had contacted Connor two days ago, the day after he had broken his arm. 

He had gotten out of the hospital yesterday, so they agreed to make today.

Evan was so excited. His first friend.

Although his mom didn't know about it. She was at work.

Evan stood up out of his desk chair and stretched. He walked over to his phone, which was on his bedside table. There was one new message from Connor.

Connor: I'm about 2 minutes away :)

Sent one minute ago. He was nearly here! Evan grabbed his phone and sprinted down the stairs. He smoothed down the collar of his blue-striped polo shirt (that he basically wore every day) to make sure there were no creases.

Then, the doorbell rang. A smile spread across Evan's face as he made his way over to the door. Before opening it, he wiped his hands on his khaki pants because they felt sweaty. He sure hoped they wouldn't get sweaty.

Oh my gosh, what if they got sweaty?

Evan opened the door, pushing that thought out of his mind. His hands weren't going to get sweaty, so why was he bringing it up?

Connor stood at the door, in the same black hoodie and black pants from the other day. His wavy brown hair fell neatly to his shoulders. His smile made Evan feel giddy. Evan had a friend, for goodness' sake!

Connor raised an eyebrow. Evan realised he'd been staring.

"O-oh! Sorry. Hey. C-come in." Evan stepped aside to let Connor in. He shut the door behind Connor.

"So..." Connor said.

"So..." Evan repeated. "Want to go to my room or something?"

Connor shrugged. "Sure."

Evan led the way upstairs to his room. Connor stepped inside and looked around before taking a seat on Evan's bed, which had a red doona.

"W-what do you want t-to do?" Evan asked. Connor thought for a moment.

"We could play Twenty Questions or something to get to know each other if you want?" Evan nodded. 

"G-good idea." 

"You start."

"O-okay," Evan thought for a moment. "Favorite color?"

Connor laughed a gestured to his outfit. "Black, if you couldn't tell. What about you?"

"Blue," Evan said immediately. "Hm... I-interesting fact about you?" 

Connor thought for a moment. "Good question. I, um, enjoy painting and drawing. It's very relaxing, y'know?" Evan nodded. "What about you? Sorry, I keep copying your questions."