Chapter Sixteen: Addison

Evan felt something hitting his head. Then he felt it again. And again.

He opened his eyes to see Zoe hitting him and Connor in the face with a pillow.

Evan groaned.

"Why?" Connor mumbled sleepily.

Zoe shrugged. "I don't know. I've been up for ages, and I got bored."

"Let us sleep, Zoe," Connor mumbled.

"But it's nine in the morning!"

"Your point?"

Zoe sighed. "Fine." She grabbed her pillow and doona and walked out the room, closing the door behind her.

Connor was still clutching Evan, so he grabbed one of Connor's hand and interlaced it with his.

"Morning, Tree Boy."

Evan smiled, even though Connor couldn't see him.

"Morning, Connie."

Evan let go of his hand and turned around, smiling at Connor. He smiled back.

Evan grabbed a bit of his messy brown hair and began to braid it.

Connor chuckled.

"We probably should get up soon. I have a surprise planned," Connor told him.

Evan nodded.

***

Connor and Evan drove in a comfortable silence.

After ten minutes of driving, Connor pulled up at a park.

"What are we doing here?" Evan asked. Sure, Evan was a child at heart and loved the swings, but he wasn't sure if Connor was the same.

Connor sighed, looked at Evan and smiled. "Well, I figured that we've never actually been on a proper date. So, whilst you were getting ready, I made a few sandwiches and packed a few snacks," he said, gesturing to a bag in the backseat.

"Connie..." Evan smiled. "That's amazing. Thank-you."

"You don't need to thank me, Tree Boy," he smiled back. "Anything for you."

Connor grabbed the bag from the back and the couple walked hand in hand towards some swings.

"I remembered something about you loving swings," he laughed. "So we can eat over here if you want."

Evan nodded, still grinning.

Connor grabbed two sandwiches and handed one to Evan.

Evan unwrapped it and took a bite. Chicken, lettuce, mayo, bacon. His favourite.

Evan looked over at Connor and smiled. Connor smiled back.

"You know you're beautiful, right?" Connor blurted out.

Evan blushed. "No, I'm not. You are."

Connor shook his head. "Evan Hansen, you are beautiful."

Evan's face was now completely red.

The two finished their sandwiches.

"Bet I can get to the top of the slide first," Evan said, smiling.