Chapter 33: Show Me Your Hero

Start from the beginning

Ross raised an eyebrow. "Given my apparent propensity for homicide, I would watch my tongue, Mr. Quincy. With the connections you seem to think I have, I could make yours look like an accident."

Robert's face paled and Ross turned to Phillip and winked. Both men hated him and relished in seeing him suffer, if only a little.

"D-did you write your brother then, Phillip," Robert asked, trying to change the subject. "Did you ask him to move forward with the marriage preparations?"

Phillip side eyed Ross—who already knew what he had written in his note to his brother—before answering Robert. "I've instructed him to do exactly what he has to."

Whether or not Robert heard, it didn't matter, for in the next moment the footman let Sebastian in. His face was flushed, as though he had run from his estate to Robert's, and his hair was all manners of distressed.

"Good day, gentlemen," he held out three envelopes, each bearing his seal, and ran a hand over his hair in an effort to tame him. "As of this moment, all three of you are cordially invited to a dinner party at my home. Before your questions, allow me add that it was my wife's idea. The best of Lanfore are to come and, yes, that includes the magistrate and most everyone he had on that blasted list of his barring the deceased and, of course, Bertha Denning. Now," he pushed the envelopes forward even more. "Take them, and then ask your questions. I am afraid you have no choice but to accept the invitation."

For a time, all three men remained silent. Sebastian stood there, very still, with the invitations still in hand. Fearing the man's arm would go numb, Phillip sighed and reached forward to take one, signaling that he would come, and he was followed immediately by Ross.

It was only Robert Quincy that remained still.

"Robert, you have to come," Sebastian insisted. "This is the perfect opportunity to grill something substantial out of the magistrate. Absent the manipulating words of that Denning harlot, we have a very clear advantage against him."

"Be that as it may," Robert glared up at Sebastian, "I have to look towards my own interests."

"Excuse me?"

"No, you must excuse me, Mr. Doyle," Robert stood and poured himself a glass of scotch before taking a seat again. "You see, my name is on that 'blasted list', remember? In fact, it is safe to say that my entire family, or any breathing human bloody being with the last name 'Quincy', are a part of his vendetta. Seeing as the three of you are clear of his fire, I believe it would be best if I sat this out."

"And allow us to scapegoat ourselves into his line of fire?" Phillip asked harshly. "I think not, Quincy. If we go down for our actions during this dinner, you go with us."

"I refuse to be a part of this charade."

"Oh, trust me, you do not have to be present to be a part of it," Ross reminded him. "You started this, after all. If things go sour, we will oust you, and the magistrate, seeing as he already hates you, will have every reason to take action against you."

Robert's eyes narrowed. "Remember, gentlemen, you would be making a big mistake if you betrayed me, especially now. If I oust you as my co-conspirators..."

"It will mean nothing if I openly confess," Ross finished for him. "I would not prefer my day in front of a noose, but if it means that James's memory will be tarnished by what he did to Lucy, and that you are put in your place as well, I will gladly do it. At least I will die knowing that I did the right thing, and that Lucy's name remains intact."

"You're a madman," Robert snarled.

"No," Ross shook his head. "Just a decent one. But to men like you, the decent ones are always mad, aren't they?"