Chapter 20 (Part Two)

Louis POV

My time is coming.  I can feel it in my very essence and in the creaking of my bones.  I lazily sat down at the breakfast bar and watched Harry's broad shoulders move as he reached for a bag of sugar from the top shelf that I could never quite reach.  I took in every detail because I didn't know whether this would be the last time I ever got to see him in this light.  

Just the way he moves, the way his lips move as he sings and the way the corner of his eyes crease when he smiles makes me feel emotions so strong it feels as though the ground itself is shaking and causing my heart to race.   My hands longed to feel his skin and my every pore wanted to me to be close to him.  My entire being yearned to be next to him and keep him safe for life.  I love him in a way that could never be described - just felt.  Words cannot evoke the things I feel for him.  He knows it all.  He's my best friend.  I will miss him. 

I slowly stood up and placed my arms around his strong waist.  "Harry.  I don't think I have much longer left angel." I said calmly.  "I know." He whispered, still stirring his cake batter.  I lifted my hand to his chest and felt his heart beat quicken underneath the paper plane necklace I gave him all those years ago.   He held my smaller hands in his and turned to face me.  His eyes were dry but the usual light they held had faded.  He leaned in and our lips connected.  It felt just like the first time.  Fireworks, excitement and hope.  Something I hadn't felt in a long time.  When I pulled away I saw that his eyes were back to normal again.  Happy.  If Harry was happy then I was too.  I fleetingly kissed him before retiring to the living room to give cupcake some attention.

Fast forward a few weeks and my headaches have stopped me from sleeping.  I was peaking at two hours - max.   They stopped me having a full nights rest which in turn, stopped Haz from sleeping.  I tried to go into the spare room so he could be well rested but he refused, clinging so tightly to my waist I thought he might snap me in half if I didn't give in.  

It was Friday and the lads had just arrived laden down with food and drink.  As usual Liam made a bee line for cupcake and Niall went into the kitchen with Zayn sitting down next to me. "Christ lad you are thin." He said smirking.  "How can you shag when your bones stick out that much?" He asked jokingly.  "Fuck off.  I get more action than you ever will with a hair cut like that." I said sassily.  He laughed and handed me a drink.  

All five of us made our way onto the porch to soak up some of the afternoons mellow warmth.  General babble filled the afternoon air and cupcake ran through the yard like a thunderbolt of gold.  We hadn't laughed this hard together since we were eighteen.  As we clinked our glasses together we knew that our friendship had a much deeper and more intricate meaning.  We were friends that went out of our way for each other, our friendship turned into a bond and now we were brothers.  Family never gives up on one another and family never lets you down.  I knew that whatever road I took, I would always be lead back home.  Back to these four men standing in front of me.  No matter what happens to me, they will always look after Harry and for that; I will be forever grateful.  

Later that night I made my way up to the bedroom, fatigued by the slightest amount of activity.  However, that was something I could appreciate - they didn't treat me any different.   I dug through a neglected draw to find a spare inhaler but my hand snagged on something instead.  I immediately pulled away only to find myself reaching back in and feeling for it.  

Once I had a firm grasp on it I used all my strength to get it out of the miss matched items.  The sight of it made me gasp sharply.  It was the photo album I made back when Harry and I were just teenagers.  However, now it was much thicker.  Tears gathered in my eyes much quicker than I had anticipated.  I hadn't seen this book in years. 

I lowered myself onto the bed and opened the book, blowing off the layer of dust that coated our smiling faces.  We were so young.  Nineteen year old me would never have dreamed of being how old I am now.  I shook my head at my own naivety.  How young I used to be.  How innocent. 

I flipped to a framed photo of all five lads and Zayn's child.  Tears gathered thick and fast as I realised that I'd never get to see my goddaughter grow up.  I'd never get to send her off to school, never get to see her get her first certificate or help her through her first heartbreak.  I would never be there, just a faint memory or a ghost in the corner of her mind.  My heart broke all over again.

My tears soon turned to tears of joy as laughs racked my body at all the stupid things Harry and I had done.  Oh to be young and in love and in New York City, to be young and not know who I am but knowing that I'd be okay because I was with Harry.  It's funny how nothing's changed.  I suddenly felt the edge of the bed sink and I raised my eyes to see his tall frame sitting next to me.  

"Hey stranger." He said, planting a kiss to my temple.  I hummed in response and pushed the book half on his lap and half on mine.  Before I knew it we were both laughing at all the happy memories we had created.  I know that in this relationship both of us have given it our all and there wasn't anyone who loved me more than him.  I know that our love will continue even after our hearts have stopped beating 

A/N: Lmao did yall notice my refernces.  also lmao prepare yourselves x