Part 18

Six weeks later

Jay POV

Blue has been really quiet since Bey left. Yup she went back to Houston that next day. She hasn't called to check on them or even visit them. I'm trying to give her space because the doctor said we can't rush it. He said her brain has to remember on it's own, I asked Kelly and she said the same thing. Kyle asks about her sometimes but I told him that she's on vacation then he doesn't ask anymore.
Blue came in and looked at me, "Hey BlueBlue? You alright?" She came and pointed to the cameras. I looked and then went to open the door. "Hey y'all. Come in."
"Hey Jay. Where's my niece and nephew?"
"Ky's taking a nap and Blue is in her room."
"Hey Uncle Jay!"
"Wassup lil man? You can go play with Blue in her room."
"Don't run. I'm not trying to be in the hospital when the year just started."
"You good man?" Tim asked on the way to the living room.
"Yeah, I been taking my meds. I only got two days left and I should be good."
"I'm talking about with Bey being gone."
"When I call, her mom says she still don't remember nothing."
"It's only been a few weeks since she left. She just needs time."
"I don't know if the kids can wait any longer."
"Why you say that?"
"Kyle thinks his mama is on vacation and Blue is taking it really bad. She's been quiet, like not talking at all since her mom left."
"Have you tried calling Solange or Andre? Maybe they can get her to talk." Kelly suggested.
"I've called Solange over and Blue will tell her a few words in Spanish then that's it. Solange will tell me she's fine and that she just misses her mom. I think it's more though."
"More like what?"
"Like there's more to Bey's memory loss."
"I don't think so. She doesn't remember us or that she's a doctor. That's pretty big. The bullet must have hit a nerve at a certain level for her to forget all of that." Kelly said.
"I guess you're right." I sighed. "I just miss my wife. We were so close to patching things up and then this shit happened."
"Use it to your advantage." Tim said.
"Like on some blackmail shit?"
"Hell no!" Kelly said. "She may not remember me but you not about to hold something over her that she don't even remember she did."
"Nah, not like that. Use it as a way to start over. Date her, get to know each other, start fresh. Make her fall in love with you all over again."
I sat and thought for a minute, "That's not a bad idea."

The Spoons left a couple of hours later and me and the kids sat around and had dinner. I cooked chicken and rice, nothing too special. I put the kids to bed and went to take a shower. Once I was done, I went to lock the house up and set the alarm. I heard voices coming from Blue's room, thinking her television was still on. I opened the door to see Blue talking to Ky.
"What y'all doing up?"
"Mommy here!" Kyle smiled.
"Shhh!" He covered his mouth like he just let out a secret.
"Blue?" She just pointed to the bathroom. A few seconds later she came strolling out.
"Hello Shawn."
"How you get here?"
"I walked up the steps."
"No, here in this house."
"You really need to arm the house at night."
"I was after my shower."
"Hm. Well I came to see my children."
"It's- can I speak with you when you're done?" she nodded. "Okay, don't take too long. It is past their bedtime."
I decided to wait for her in the living room. I guess I fell asleep because I woke up to taps on my shoulder. "You wanted to talk?"
"Yeah, what time is it?"
"A little after two."
"What took you so long?"
"I got hungry so I made a snack which turned into a meal." She paused, "And I was looking through photo albums."
"What for?"
"........ I was trying to remember." she said twiddling her thumbs.
"Come here." I said calmly.
"I'm sorry I left. Its just that Houston is my home."
"You made a home here Bey."
"I see that and my family keeps telling me that but I don't remember any of it."
"Let me help you."
"I don't know you."
"Just trust me."
"Why should I trust you?"
"You're my wife, the mother of my kids. We started a family together."
"Those are my kids for sure but how do I know they were consensually conceived?"
"I wouldn't hurt you Bey. You have to believe me on that."
"Why?!"
"Please don't yell."
"I'm leaving." she got up to leave. "Tell my kids I love them."
"Wait!" I thought about what Tim said. "Barack is having this ball tonight."
"Barack?"
"Yeah him."
"Okay?"
I scratched the back of my head, "We were really involved with his campaign and getting him elected. You and his wife got really close too. Anyways she's having a birthday party tonight. We usually go together."
"Oh."
"I mean you don't have to if-"
"It's fine."
It got quiet, "You want me to come pick you up later?"
"You putting me out?"
"No it's just you said you were leaving."
"I changed my mind."
I threw my hands up, "Uh there's a guest room down that hall. I know you're not comfortable with sleeping with me yet."
She smiled, "Thank you.... Shawn?"
"Yeah?"
"I don't have anything to wear."
"I- We have a friend who can help you look for something."
"Who?"
"She's a really good friend. She's one of the kids' godmom."
"She?"
"Kelly. She's one of your best friends."
"I never really had a friend." she mumbled.
"Just get some rest. I'll call her in the morning."
"Goodnight."
"Night."