Part 2

Next Morning
Jay POV

"Ma, I can't believe her." I said pacing the parking lot. "This is why she barely sees them now."
"Calm down son."
"I can't. She's not answering my calls or texts."
"I'm sure she has a good reason."
"I specifically told her to bring them to church with their bags packed."
"Shawn that is their mother. They're safe with her."
I stopped and looked at her, "You sure about that?"
"Don't do that. Bey has been nothing less of a great mother to Blue and Kyle. She wouldn't put them in harm's way." I breathed out. "Look, just stop by the house and check on them."
"I will and I'll call you when I know something."
"Alright be safe." With that I hopped in my truck and sped off to Beyoncé and I's old apartment.

I used my key to go in. It was quiet. I didn't see her car outside either. I swear if this girl ran off with my kids that's her ass.
"Beyoncé!" I called out for her. "Beyoncé!"
Still no answer. I went to check the kids room and they weren't there. Now I'm starting to get pissed. I walked in her bedroom and I see my kids cuddled up to her sleeping.
"Hey. Wake up." I said tapping her shoulder. She popped up so fast like she was ready to fight. When she saw it was me, she relaxed a little bit. "Let me talk to you real quick." I walked out the room and waited for her in the kitchen.

She came walking down the stairs in her 'Carter' jersey. We got matching jersey when we were newly married. Yeah, we were that corny couple. I'm surprised she still sleeps in it.

"What are you doing here Shawn?" she said walking in

"I should be asking you the same thing. Why weren't you at church this morning?"
She looked at me, "I'm grown and don't have to answer to you."
"When you have my kids, you do."
"You don't speak to me anyway." she mumbled.
"Where were y'all this morning?"
She rolled her eyes, "Kyle got sick late last night and I-"
"Is he alright?"
"Yes, but he's still running a fever."
"Why didn't you call me?"
"I know how to take care of a sick child. I am a pediatrician, or did you forget that about me too?"
"I'm his father. You should have called me."
"And I'm his mother."
"Look next time call me."
"Shawn you don't answer my phone calls. I have to call your mom just to communicate with you."
"Beyoncé don't."
"There was no need to call you anyway. I had everything under control."
"If you had everything under control then he wouldn't have gotten sick in the first place."
"I'm not about to argue over this." she said rolling her eyes and walking to the cabinet grabbing some medicine. "Kyle is my son too. As a mother and a professional, there was nothing you could have done."
I sighed, "What's wrong with him?"
"I can't diagnose it for sure, but he might have a stomach virus or food poisoning."
"You give him something?"
"I know you see me with this medicine in my hand."
"I'm just asking."
"No, you're treating me like an incapable parent."
"I'm just worried about my-"
"They're just as much mine. So stop with that 'my kids' mess, I helped create them too."
"Whatever, next time could you just answer my calls or at least text back?"
"Shawn we were sleep, as you just saw. It was a long night. I wasn't ignoring you on purpose."
I nodded, "Y'all coming to my mom's later?"
She shook her head, "I'm keeping him in. He needs to rest. I'll drop Blue off later on tonight."
"Alright. I'm out."
"Shawn, I need to talk to you."
"So you can lie to me again? I'm good on that."
"No, I'm trying to have a civil conversation with my husband."
"Don't call me that."
"That's who you are to me."
"I wish I wasn't."
"You don't mean that." she shook her head. "Take it back. Please."
"Nah, that'd be a lie. Unlike you I don't do that." I walked out.