Chapter 11 - X-Ray Vision

I met Anny at her car after school, I will usually take the bus home but I don't want to risk it, not today.

"Hey you!" She was surprised, but excited.

"Hey," I said embarrassed, "can I get a ride home with you? The bus... isn't as fun."

Of course I wasn't lying but that wasn't exactly the full truth. He sometimes takes the bus home when his mom works, and I couldn't risk it.

She noticed I was embarrassed about asking, "Are you implying that I am more fun than a big stinky, dirty vehicle filled with angry children?" She chuckled.

"Well when you say it like that..."

"I'm just teasing you, of course. I wish you always came home with me."

I blushed. She noticed and ruffled my hair playfully, smiling back at me. She sat down in the drivers seat with the door still open, then motioned for me to get in when she saw I wasn't already moving.

I jumped in the car and we took off for home.

"So how was your cereal Shanalee?" She said my full name, I'm in trouble now. Wait, what did I do?

"I-it was good." I giggled nervously. As you can tell, I am not a good liar.

I had just opened my mouth to ask how hers was when she interrupted me, "I got a phone call telling me that my rebellious sister was causing chaos running through the halls."

"Why'd they tell you?"

"Because they couldn't find you!"

I blushed. Not a happy, 'aww cute' blush, more like a 'this is awkward as well as embarrassing' blush.

"I wanted to go for a run" I told her.

"Oh yeah." I could tell she was not believing a word of this.

"Does 'wanting to go for a run' have anything to do with not wanting to take the bus she asked me.

What the heck! Can she see into my soul?!

"No." I was proud of how stern I sounded, but she still wasn't believing me.

"I won't be upset Shany, I honestly love driving you home I just wanna know." She took her eyes off the road to look me in the eyes.

They were so trusting, and it's not like I can lie to her considering that she can see right through me.

I looked down, playing with the hem of my shirt uniform, thinking of a way to say it.

She waited patiently, keeping her focus on the road.

"Do you remember, that-that kid?"

"You're gonna need to be more specific than that, Hun."

"It was a he..."

"Was? So he's transgender now?"

"No no no," I giggled. I'd sure get a kick out of him if that was the case. "It is a he, and he..."

This was even harder to say than I thought it would be.

"He used to come over, ya know? Dark brown eyes and hair with olive skin and freckles?"

"Oh yeah! You mean C-"

"Don't say his name!" I cut in.

"What is he like Voldemort? So terribly evil that you can't even speak his name? Is he missing a nose too?"

"No to the no nose part, but I am pretty darn sure that he is terribly evil." I said while glaring at the picture of him in my mind.

Anna giggled, "Alright, so what about him?"

"I have to be in the same class as him for 5 months after my birthday before he graduates. It's awful."

"Awful?" Annalynn repeated.

"Awful." I confirmed. "Anyways, we have avoided each other for the past 7 months almost and all of a sudden he wants to talk to me!"

"And you don't want to talk to him?"

"Not at all! So I ran away from him."

Anny Giggled, "you know you can't run away from all your problems right?"

"I'm aware, but I sure can try."

Annalynn laughed at me with a full smile spread across her face. "If only."

Anny parked the car in the driveway and we got out of the car and closed the doors in synchronization.

We unpacked our bags and headed our separate ways to relax in our rooms.