Chapter 19: Natsu's Idea

~Jellal's POV~

The rest of the engagement was interesting to say the least.

We were called to have a dance, along with all of the other couples in our guild by Mira who, of course, also danced with Laxus.

But, despite the insistence, Natsu and Lucy didn't dance together. Instead they stood at the side and watched the rest of us, probably reminiscing their relationship.

I could tell that they both wanted to dance and I was surprised when Natsu didn't ask her. I guess he thought it would be forceful especially if she really didn't want to.

What he didn't understand was that she was waiting for him to ask her, even though she would have declined at first.

After the dance, we had dessert which was delicious until the point when Natsu decided cake tasted better with hot sauce on it and in an attempt to only put it on his slice, he slipped and spilled it on the rest of the cake.

Of course he got a scolding from Mira but surprisingly enough Erza didn't say much about it and instead chuckled and told Natsu it was alright.

I guess it was because the cake wasn't strawberry. We had gotten a whole separate strawberry cake for Erza and a different cake for everyone else.

After the engagement finished, Erza and I were sent on a walk along a nearby beach. Our guildmates, but mostly Mira, insisted that we have some time alone.

After all we did just get engaged.

As we walked along the shore, the sun set in the distance and a beautiful sunset took over the sky.

With my hand holding Erza's and the breeze blowing past us, it all felt so perfect.

I noticed Erza constantly glancing at her ring as if to check if it was still there and that this was really reality, which I found to be very cute.

"So we're engaged now huh?" I asked, fixing my eyes on the path ahead.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Erza smile. "Yeah."

"It feels nice," I admitted. "Today I officially claimed you as mine."

"I was always yours," she replied. "I always will be."

I smiled at that. It was like she could read my mind; she knew that's what I wanted to hear.

"Our wedding is in two days," I pointed out.

"I remember," she said, looking at me. "To be honest, I'm kind of nervous."

"Me too," I admitted. "But someone once told me that being nervous about something just means that it's very important to you."

"I never thought of it that way but it makes sense," Erza said. "After all, our wedding will be the most important event of my life."

"There is one event even more important in my life," I said, stopping in front of her.

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "What's that?"

I smiled. "When I first met you."

Erza matched my smile. "Even during the worst time, that was the best moment of my life."
------------------------------------------------------------