Chapter 16: Planning A Wedding

~Lucy's POV~

My eyes slowly blinked open and I saw darkness around me. I sat up and turned the lamp on in our tent to notice that Erza was missing.

I chuckled. She probably snuck out to meet Jellal. Normally, she was the one conducting the rules but ever since she fell in love, she was the one breaking them. Not that there was a particular rule about not going out after a certain time but I still found it cute that those two risked being caught to spend time wth each other.

I don't know why my mind immediately went to Natsu at that thought but I shook my head, scolding myself for thinking about him.

I decided I needed some fresh air so I crawled out of my tent and welcomed the fresh breeze as I walked along the lakeside.

Life was so simple before. I would get up, get ready, and then wait till Natsu and Happy would barge into my house eating my breakfast. I used to get so annoyed but now I would love for things to be like that again.

Ever since Natsu and I started having feelings for each other, everything got so complicated. I lost my partner.

As I slowly got out of my thoughts, I noticed a figure sitting under a tree and as I came closer, I realized it was Natsu with his eyes closed and his head facing the sky.

Flashbacks of what recently happened between us came back to me. Flashbacks of me insisting I didn't care what he did in his life. Flashbacks of him and Lisanna together.

Thinking back on it, in an attempt to save myself from getting hurt again, I had completely isolated myself from Natsu.

I didn't want that. I didn't want a life where I barely got to talk to or even see him. I wanted him in my life. Even if it was only as a friend.

With that in mind, I went over and sat next to him and a breeze washed over us. Natsu opened his eyes and when he saw me, he looked surprised. I couldn't really blame him though considering my behaviour towards him these last few weeks.

"Luce," he breathed.

I smiled. "Hey Natsu."

"Hey," he replied. "What are you doing up so late?"

"I could ask you the same thing," I countered.

Natsu looked away, a frown taking over his face. "I just needed some air."

"Is something wrong?"

He looked at me and the emotions in his eyes left me in shock. They were burning with feelings that words couldn't express.

"Natsu what's wrong?" I asked, worried.

"Nothing," he declined and then he paused. "Everything."

I looked at him, waiting for any further explanations.

"I just feel like every time something good is about to happen in my life, something bad comes and ruins it," he explained. "Why does everything have to be so complicated Luce?"

"Why can't we just be happy?" he asked, his voice close to breaking.

I felt my heart stop as his words replayed in my mind.

"If I was sad, you wouldn't feel just as down as I would?"

I did. I felt like I could do anything to make him feel better. I just wanted to see him smile again.

Before I could stop myself, I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and pulled him into a hug. He seemed surprised at first but then he placed his arms around my waist and pulled me closer.