The Reaction - Jasmine

Start from the beginning

"Sirius!" I shouted after him, "Oi, you git, I need to speak to you!" He stopped in his tracks but the others suddenly began running in the direction of the tree, full-tilt, and disappeared behind it in a matter of seconds. I caught up with Sirius, whose face was stormy and terrified all at the same time.

"What Jasmine? It's late, go inside," he told me bluntly. I remember my jaw dropping. He never spoke to me like that.

"Well if it's so late, why aren't you in Gryffindor Tower like everyone else? Anyway, I only came out 'cause I needed to ask you when you wanted me to check that Potions work for you. Because I'm busy after Friday with Gem."

He looked at me incredulously, eyes bulging, glancing back over his shoulder every so often in the direction of his friends. I could see James stood a little closer, just in front of the willow, checking what was going on between us.

"Seriously Jas? You came all the way out here just to see when you could mark my schoolwork? At this time? You have an owl don't you?"

I glared at him, anger clouding my vision. What was his problem? I didn't have to put up with this.

"Just go back inside Jasmine, I'm warning you."

Warning me? Who does he think he is, my Dad? One of the Professors? No, he's meant to be my friend, soon-to-be-boyfriend hopefully. But at this rate, I wasn't so sure. Especially once I'd yelled at him that I was only trying to help and cared about him. Then I stormed off, my eyes tearing up so I couldn't quite see where I was going. I stumbled on bare-feet as they slipped from underneath me and caught the long skirt of my floaty maxi dress, so I skidded on the smooth material and fell over, tears now streaming down my face. I was angry at myself and screeched in a fit of rage and embarrassment. I heard Sirius' footsteps getting nearer, and I just couldn't stand it anymore. And I just sat there crying, warm salty tears leaking from my eyes and dripping off my cheeks. Then he was right beside me, hand offered out to help me up and I knew I was being over-dramatic, but I was still so upset that I just scrambled to my feet by myself, shot him a look of disgust and stalked off. The gesture just seemed patronising at the time, like he was only helping because he pitied me, and I hated that. Behind me I heard him calling after me, voice despairing; and then James calling for Sirius to hurry up because "Remus needed them". I'm sure he could cope by himself; he's not six, I thought bitterly.

And that is how I find myself here, in the Entrance Hall, sitting on the cold marble staircase, waiting for Gemini, in the dark, and for all I knew, she was already asleep and wasn't coming. But then tiny footsteps alerted me to her approach. I shan't go through her responses as I told her but...well, lets say she was more abusive than I was. And more... vocal. I had to keep hushing her to stop her waking the whole castle up, which would of course result in detention for us both and no Head Girl position next year.

"I can't believe that little troll-faced git!" she whispered in a high pitched voice, the anger evident on her face. "What on Earth was his problem?" I shrugged at the question and lent my head on Gem's shoulder. She wrapped her arm around me and pulled me to my feet.

"Come on, bed, go." As she said it, she winked at me.

"Don't you start too missus. I may start crying again," I laughed. She grabbed my hand and pulled me up the stairs to Ravenclaw Tower. She was only going to have to walk all the way back down to the Dungeons now: that's how brilliant a friend she is. She'll walk all the way to my Common Room with me and risk getting caught by Filch on the way back just for me. Best friend ever. Unlike Sirius. He's not even worthy of a mention that great, mean-spirited, horrible, sexy, beautiful... Damn it. He's just too gorgeous. I can't not forgive him. I'll apologise tomorrow. I was a bit of a bitch too if I'm entirely honest. So I shall put this awa-

"Jas... Jas, are you there? I'm sorry. I was being a complete goblin earlier, I shouldn't have been so mean. I'm sorry. Can you open the door? I can't answer it's stupid question," An apologetic voice came through the solid wood of the door and into the empty Common Room. I decided to string it out a little longer, I liked his pleading tone; and more to the point, he sounded like he actually wanted me. I heard him slump his back against the door, still talking and apologising quietly. I sat down on the other side of the door so we were back to back with just a few inches of mahogany between us.

"Jas... Are you there? Please open the door. I just want to apologise properly."

"I'm here," I spoke quietly, hugging my knees to my chest, head tilted back.

"Then open the door you daft girl," he laughed. I stood up and pulled open the heavy divide between me and him; him and I; us. And the second it opened, he reached for my hands and pulled me close. My chest met his as he wrapped me in the biggest and warmest hug. I let my head rest against his neck and he laid his head upon mine. His arms snaked around my waist and held me close. One hand reached for my face and my breathing hitched; his fingers curled around my cheek and the other hand moved up my back to tangle in my hair. Then his lips met mine so softly and my eyes fluttered shut. The warmth left me as they opened and I saw Sirius staring at me in shock for just a second before letting go of me and walking back down the stairs into the dark.