The Knock On The Door

"You've been out here reading those for over an hour. Danny and the boys left already. You okay?" Andy asks, taking a seat beside me on the porch.

"He finally admitted it Andy. Dylan finally admitted that he loves me in the last letter he wrote to me." I say, wiping the tears from my eyes. I hand Andy the letter I have been re-reading for the past hour. Andy reads over it then hands it back to me.

"It only took him seven years to admit it. What are you going to do now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you going to chase him down and tell him you still love him?"

"If he really wants to talk to me, he knows where to find me. I'm done trying to chase him down. It didn't get me anywhere before and I doubt it will get me anywhere now. Now it's his turn to chase me down."

"So, you still love him?"

"I don't know. It's been six years, we aren't the same people we were before."

"No, but you are better than you were before."

"Thanks Andy." Andy and I sit in a comfortable silence.

                                                  **********************************************

"Aunt Meli, there's a guy at the door for you. He startled me because he actually knocked." Gwenn says out the backdoor. Only strangers knock on my door. Everyone else just walks right in unless it's really late of really early.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"He said his name is Dylan. Is he that guy you told me about earlier?"

"What did you tell her about him earlier?" Andy asks.

"Just that he left without telling her goodbye and that she might still love him."

"Can you tell him I'll be right there Gwenn?"

"Sure thing." Gwenn skips away.

"You sure you want to talk to him?" Andy asks.

"No, but I'm going to anyways." I make my way slowly to the front door.

                                                  **********************************************

"Hi Amelia." Dylan hangs his head in shame as he says my name.

"That's all I get, "Hi Amelia"? You just show up after six years and that's all I get."

"What do you want me to say then?"

"How about I'm sorry. Or maybe even can you ever forgive me for what I've done."

Dylan gets down on one knee in front of me. "I missed you sooo much Meli! I was a big jerk for not

keeping in touch all these years. I was an even bigger jerk for not coming and telling you "goodbye" when I left. Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me?"

"You should have started with that from the beginning. I missed you too. Get over here and give me a hug." Dylan does even better than that, he picks me up out of my wheelchair and spins me around and around.

"So you forgive me?"

"Of course I do."

"Great! What are you doing tomorrow night?"

"I'm going on a date with Danny."

"Oh." Dylan becomes deflated.

"Do you have dinner plans tonight?"