Chapter 29 ~ Finding Common Ground

Cadence POV

It had been a couple days since I left the hospital and between Evan and Dorothy, they had been blowing up my cell phone and Lilly's. I wasn't mad with Dorothy but furious at Evan. I realized he had memory loss but it also felt like I didn't get a fighting chance to prove that we belonged together. I thought maybe this could be a new beginning for us but it turned in the opposite direction.

I had just come back from feeding the girls when I came back to Lilly's house. It was pretty much quiet as Lilly, Ben and Marci were still going through my asshole great-grandfather financials. I sat on the sofa and went through the mail from my house.

I went through it and most was junk mail. There was a letter from Tulane and I opened it. It was a letter confirming my graduation status and that I would be walking across the stage within a month. I was happy and wanted to jump up and down with joy. I needed some good news and the first person I wanted to call was Evan.

Then I thought what was the point of calling because he wouldn't know the difference. I called Lilly and it went straight to voicemail. I tried calling Em and my sisters but I realized it was late at night their time. I wanted a drink, but I had just started breast feeding and didn't want to harm the girls, so I went to the freezer and grabbed some icecream.

"Congratulations Cadence, well done if I say so myself," I said talking to myself. I heard the doorbell ring and went to answer it.

"Hey?" The deep voice resonated through the bright sun. "I wasn't expecting to see you here," he said.

"Paul?"

"Yeah. I was suppose to met Lilly here to have her sign some paperwork, she told me she would be back by now. Where's Harrison?"

"Oh he went to the store, but you can come in."

"Thanks," he said smiling. He walked in and he was still handsome as ever. He was wearing a navy blue suit that looked like a million dollars. His hair was tapered and he had an after five shadow.

"I was in the middle of fixing an icecream float care to join?"

"Sure," he said looking a little weird. He followed me in the kitchen.

"Coke or Rootbeer?"

"Most definitely Rootbeer," he said smiling. I dipped three scoops of icecream in a glass and poured the Rootbeer until it foamed at the top. I added a cherry, spoon and straw.

"Can we make a toast?"

"Okay to what?"

"I will be graduating with my Master's Degree in one month."

"Well congratulations. That is a very big accomplishment."

"Thank you."

"So how have you been feeling? I heard about the shooting and your husband."

"Better everyday. The twins will be ready to come home soon and I'm sure Evan will be too."

"That's good, it seems that the family you always wanted will be reunited."

"I guess so."

"So you are staying with Lilly for the time being?"

"For now."

"Well at least you don't have to be by yourself."

"Very true."

"Can I ask you three questions?" He asked sipping on the drink.

"Just three? Go ahead."

"Is Lilly really your grandmother?"

"Yes, but we just find out the day I was shot. It's a long story."