Chapter 19 ~ In A Time Of Weakness

Jacob POV

I sat in my office going over the plans for the medical office building when there was a knock on the door. I looked up and Garett came walking in.

"Where the fuck you been? It's been months and I haven't heard from you," I said pushing my chair from the desk.

"I needed a little break," he said with his hair freshly cut. "You punched me the last time we saw each other over a woman."

"You deserved it! You should have kept your damn mouth shut. It's been two months without a call, you know that was foul. We own a business together."

"I thought you and that nig...I mean chocolate plaything would be having the time of your lives, plus I needed a little break from the norm," he said with a devious smirk on his face.

"What are you talking about?"

"Cadence. Last time I spoke to you, your ass was basically following her like a pussy-whip feen."

I looked at Garrett. He really knew how to piss me off. It had been months since I had seen him and now I wanted him to leave. I caught his negative reference to Cadence and one more slip up and I would beat his ass worst this time. Although we weren't a couple, he had no right to talk about her.

"Whatever. Seriously where have you been?"

"Courting clients in Australia, Argentina, Peru, you name it I've been there. You need to see the big ass amounts of volume I'm about to bring in. I swear we need to open an office overseas. The women are fine and when they see an American they get all excited and want to fuck you so good until they can't take it."

I ignored his female references. "The numbers have increased some, but not enough to open an office over there."

"That's because I didn't have my partner in crime, my wingman. You and me use to be the shit. We had rich female clients that could never get enough of the both of us. Remember that?"

"Yeah, but things have changed. We were wild and much younger. We were reckless."

"No, we were young, smooth, handsome and thirsty. Don't you miss that? We fucked anything with three holes." he said laughing.

"I remember, but it's time for you to grow the hell up. We are not those young devilish dudes anymore. Fuck! Grow up!"

"Man what's gotten into you Jacob? Man you're a party pooper. The old Jacob I knew would be in search of fresh meat, not sitting behind a desk pushing papers."

"Look since your ass as been gone, I have been keeping this place a float. Don't fuck with me Garrett. I was here keeping this place down while your ass was out galavanting. If you don't want to be partners anymore let me buy you out and then you can do whatever the hell it is you do. Start your own company over there and leave me the fuck alone," I said pissed off.

"What is your deal J? We have been friends since we were basically kids and and all of a sudden you're angry and pissed off with me. Please tell me that girl is not talking nonsense in your head about me. I hate to say it but I think she wants me too."

"Who Garrett?"

"Cadence, who else."

I looked at Garrett as he was flat out lying. It was no way that was true. He sat down in the chair and crossed his legs. Although we have been friends since we were a lot younger, the more I talked to him, the more I despised him.

"Before you left, did you hurt Cadence? Did you grab her and scare her? " The questions had been on my mind since she told me.

"How in the hell could I have hurt her? I haven't been here," he said a little agatated.