Chapter 39

Ariel's POV:

I was now lying in a hospital bed, some wires hooked up to me with a heart monitor beating regularly beside me. The doctor explained that the only reason I was able to move after I was thrown against the wall was because my adrenaline was pumping.

It makes sense, in a way. I knew my adrenaline was going, especially when I saw Louis beat the crap out of Brendon. Now, all that adrenaline is far gone and I'm exhausted. My body is aching and every time I move pain shoots up my spine.

I'm brought out of my thoughts of what just happened when the door to my hospital room opens. I slowly turn my head, seeing Louis standing in the doorway with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. Cheesy jerk. I think grimly, ashamed of my previous actions.

I practically begged him to come back to me, which is really shameful for me. I hope he doesn't think that just because I said that, that we are good now. Because we really aren't. I still have a long way to go until I can trust him again.

Sure, he saved me from being killed, but it still doesn't justify all of his other actions. I need proof that he didn't really want to hurt me like he told me, so that I don't fall for another game. I've obviously had enough of those, and I only get hurt.

"Hey." he says awkwardly, noticing my intense gaze and walks in the room, closing the door behind him as he sets the flowers down on the bedside table. "Hi." I answer flatly, my voice scratchy from screaming and crying.

"How are you feeling?" Louis asks me and I let out a sigh. "I don't know." I answer honestly and he looks down at the ground. He probably doesn't know what to say and I'm sort of thankful for that. I really don't know what to say to him either.

"Oh...look, Ariel...I just wanted to say something." he starts, rubbing the back of his neck and I curse inwardly. Of course he would start saying things, because that would only make this worse.

"Can't you find a better time to talk to me about stuff between us besides when I'm hospitalized?" I ask tiredly and he frowns at me sadly.

"But any other time I try to talk to you, you won't listen to me and you run away. I can't explain anything. Here you can't run from me, and I really need you to listen to me." he explains and I roll my eyes at him, angry that he was right about this.

If I could move without being in excruciating pain, I'd be out of here in a heartbeat. I didn't want to listen to him, because I didn't want to fall for him again. Still, another half of my brain told me to listen to him, because I want to believe that he really wasn't playing me the entire time.

I hate these internal conflicts, they make hating him so much harder. It's because I never stopped loving him. I try to shake off that thought, but it won't go away.

"Fine, talk." I say roughly and he gives me a small smile before pulling up a chair beside my bed and sitting next to me, looking me directly in the eyes before he starts to talk.

"Everything was a setup. Harry set me up that day when he talked to me, he wanted you to hear. I never intended on telling you any of it, because I had put that behind me. It is true that at the beginning, it was a game. But that all changed Ariel. I really fell in love with you, and it made it impossible for me to play you. I told Harry that the bet was off, that I was done with it because I really loved you." Louis starts and I feel anger rise in me, knowing that at the beginning, it was just a game.

"Harry didn't like it at all, and he kept trying to tell me that you were only using me, that I was a subject of your game. I told him countless times that it wasn't like that, that we were truly in love. He didn't believe me. So whenever you came in that day because you were tired of waiting on me, he took that as the opportunity to test you. Except he didn't realize that what he did was wrong, and that it ruined both of us in the end." Louis finishes and I look at my hands.

I don't know whether or not to believe his story. It seems logical, but on the other hand it doesn't. What if this is just another lie to get me to believe him?

"I need proof of that." I say harshly and Louis' shoulders sag. "You don't believe me?" he asks softly and I slowly shake my head, making sure not to move too fast. If I did, I'd end up causing myself more pain.

"Okay, I get it." he says, digging in his pocket until he brought out his cell phone, unlocking it and pressing buttons. He turns it to me, showing me messages between him and Harry.

His messages proved that he was telling the truth. I'm reading that he says he calls the bet off, Harry is angry with it, but Louis says he doesn't care.

He's truly telling the truth on this one, and that's for sure. Here's proof for me to. So...so why is it so hard for me to believe this? I have the proof that I've been wanting right in front of me. Why do I not want to believe it?

"I...I don't know." I whisper and Louis' eyes widen. "What do you mean you don't know? I-I just showed you proof! You even told me just two hours ago how much you didn't want me to leave you. You want me back, Ariel, don't deny it! Why can't you accept it?!" he says aggravated, getting up from his chair and pacing across the room.

"I need some time, Louis." I say rather calmly, contradicting the voices in my head that are rampaging around right now.

"Time? Time for what? I've given you plenty of time this past week and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. Can't you see how miserable I am, Ariel?" he says desperately, giving me a pleading look and I bite my lip.

I could clearly see how distressed he was, I've never seen him look so terrible like this. I knew he was suffering yet I couldn't break through my walls to let him in again, at least not right now.

"Couldn't you see, Louis? I know you're miserable, I know. I am too. I know that you showed me proof and I have no reason to not believe your story. I just can't seem to convince myself of that. I have all the facts in front of me, yet...yet I can't just...accept anything." I say, tears coming to my eyes and I look down, trying not to cry. Crying would only hurt me.

Both mentally and physically.

"Ariel, I'm sorry. I-" he starts but he's cut off by the door opening. The doctor comes in with a clipboard in his hand, a frown on his face. "Oh, I didn't know you had visitors, Miss Ariel. I was just here to deliver your results from your injuries." he says and I nod my head slowly to him, disregarding Louis at the moment.

"Sir, I must ask you to leave." The doctor says and Louis' posture sags, giving me a sad look before he nods his head, walking out of the room. But before he closes the door, he turns around with a hopeful look in his eyes.

"I'll talk to you soon, Ariel." he says and shuts the door behind him, not giving me time to agree or disagree with his statement.

"What's my result?" I ask, not wanting to waste any time. He gives me a sad look, sighing heavily before walking over to me, placing a hand gently on my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry to tell you this, miss." he starts and fear clenches inside my stomach. This isn't good news, is it? My eyes begin to fill with tears at the thought of what could be wrong with me, but I refused to let them fall.

"What?" I croak and the doctor gulps.

"Your spine is broken. If it doesn't heal soon, you could be paralyzed for the rest of your life."

That's when I erupted into sobs.

Don't hate me for this one either guys :p Hope you all like this chapter!! :D Please continue to COMMENT and VOTE!! It means the world to me!! Love you all xx